• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Central Market "Salt Bar"

Kevin72

I read that the CM in Southlake was doing this, and then just finally noticed it at the one here in Plano: in their bulk section, the last part of the jarred spices are taken up by different types of exotic salts. One particularly caught my eye: a black, smoked salt that I'd imagine is unbelievable over simple seafood or maybe a steak off the grill. Anyone checking these out?

I read that the CM in Southlake was doing this, and then just finally noticed it at the one here in Plano: in their bulk section, the last part of the jarred spices are taken up by different types of  exotic salts. One particularly caught my eye: a black, smoked salt that I'd imagine is unbelievable over simple seafood or maybe a steak off the grill.  Anyone checking these out?

I'm in Austin and our CM Westgate has the same thing. I did the black smoked salt on a dry aged rib-eye from Whole Foods Market on the grill and it was absolutely the best steak I've ever eaten in my life.

So to answer your question, yes, I'm checking these out :)

There's nothing so bad in this life that pork fat can't make better.

My Blog

I read that the CM in Southlake was doing this...

I'm in Austin and our CM Westgate has the same thing. I did the black smoked salt on a dry aged rib-eye from Whole Foods Market on the grill and it was absolutely the best steak I've ever eaten in my life.

Sounds great. CM in Houston has been doing it as well. I'm cooking some Kobe Rib-eyes tonight and the idea is awesome. Will be going by there after work today for some smoked black salt.

I made some bean soup, which ordinarily I would "flavor" with smoked ham hocks, however I was cooking for vegetarian friends and used smoked salt. Everyone raved about how good it was.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was at CM today (Plano store) and picked up a little bit (a few table spoons) of the Salt Works Durango Hickory Smoked Sea Salt.

It sure smells smoky. Have yet to use it, but I am thinking it will finish a steak later in the week. Maybe it will taste/smell like I actually cooked it over a charcoal fire instead of on the stove top and in the oven. I mean, this stuff really DOES smell smoky.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

So these things aren't just Sodium Chloride. What is the chemical composition?

- Thanks.

Ummm I dunno...

for smoked salt, I was thinking they would just put some salt into a smoker, like you would a piece of animal protein.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Someone earlier mentioned Salt Works being the source. If that's true, HERE'S their info.

and I think this must be the salt you're talking about:

Smoked Sea Salt

Smoked Sea Salts are a relatively new and exciting gourmet salt in the US! They are naturally smoked over real wood fires to infuse the salt crystals with 100% natural smoke flavor. Smoked Sea Salts add a unique flavor to a wide range of dishes including roasts, chicken, salads and sandwiches. Unlike artificially infused smoke flavored salts all of our smoked sea salts are naturally smoked. Uses: Great when grilling or oven roasting. This is a must when cooking Salmon. Also adds an authentic smoke house flavor to soups, salads, pasta and sandwiches. Available in coarse grain size.

• 1 year later...

My favorite two are the Cypress flake salt and a curried salt at the Plano location. The Cypress flake add great texture to food: razor thin, yet in very large crystalline shapes. The curry salt adds not just good aroma but actual flavor to dishes. I find that the smoked salts add a smokey aroma to food but usually don't carry through to a flavor boost.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I caught the old A Cook's Tour French Laundry episode and one thing that blew Bourdain and co's mind was the different exotic salts Keller was using. Amazing that in the span of 8 years it went from something the top restaurant in the country was using to being available at stores in the Dallas suburbs.