• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Somewhat Healthier Christmas Baking

Apricotta

I'm doing some Xmas baking this year, as usual, but I'm trying to go lighter and want some recipes which would be a little (or a lot) less guilt-inducing. If you have any, I'd love to have them. I will post some soon that I have, as well.

Thanks, and happy baking!

:cool:

I'm doing some Xmas baking this year, as usual, but I'm trying to go lighter and want some recipes which would be a little (or a lot) less guilt-inducing.  If you have any, I'd love to have them.  I will post some soon that I have, as well.

Thanks, and happy baking!

:cool:

Which kind of recipes are you looking for? Cakes? Cookies? Quick Breads? Let me know and I'll see what I can dig up. I have some lower fat quick breads, some coffee cakes and a muffin or two that are light, plus a low cholesterol chocolate cake.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

We always make meringues each year at Christmas--not because they are low cal but b/c they are good. You can flavor them with lemon, lemon and almond, grated chocolate, grated chocolate and chopped hazelnuts, etc. The nuts will of course up the calories...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I like the Blueberry Pecan Cake from Cooking Light magazine. It is more of a coffee-cake. I frequently make a couple and go ahead and slice it them into individually wrapped pieces. I then give blueberry pecan cake and cherry-almond scones to a couple of friends on Christmas Eve for them to have for breakfast Christmas morning. (Leaving enough for our family to have the same.)

I prefer making it with fresh berries if at all possible. When I use frozen ones, it comes out an ugly purplish color (although the taste is still good.)

I too, like to go healthier when possible. Many years back I found a lighter version of one of my staple Christmas cookies, Russian tea cakes/Mexican wedding cookies, from Eating Well magazine. They cut back on the butter (only 5T for 4 dz cookies) by using cornstarch to help the cookies 'melt' in your mouth. These are really good and no one would ever know they are better for you. :biggrin:

I was able to find the recipe online here. (scroll to post 4) There are also a couple other lighter holiday cookies also from Eating Well magazine listed.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"