• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shun Personal Steak Knife ....

KLwood

See it HERE I couldnt quite believe this latest goodie from Shun. I was just wondering where it would fall within the rules of Etiquette to essentially pull out your pocket knife in a restaurant. Perhaps the marketing team at Shun wants to elevate 'Personal Cutlery' beyond the Campfire and into the high end steakhouse.. Im surprised they didnt include a laminated steel Cigar cutter in the pretty little black box.. but I guess they were too busy precision engineering the $370. SHUN MANDOLINE in time for the Holidays ....

Doesnt the idea of pulling out your own knife in a restaurant just seem a bit much ??

Edited by KLwood (log)

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

Yes.

...But then again, I don't have loads of money or the desire to conspiciously consume, either. And, I can't see how the quality (within reason) of the knife I'm using to cooked food could seriously impact my meal.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Interesting, BeJam. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that historical habits like this one tend to come back as a way to show off/establish class. Hmmm.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Is there any truth to their idea that a sharper steak knife preserves the flavor of the meat ? Id love to see the research on that one.

Maybe Cooks Illustrated could go there ....

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

Interesting, BeJam. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that historical habits like this one tend to come back as a way to show off/establish class. Hmmm.

Well owning your own cutlery in the 15th century was definitely a class distinguisher, but, until today, I would have argued that a personal fork and knife set would not have been a class elevator but rather a bit of a status item within a certain class. Just how high up the social ladder is the Swiss Army and exactly how many parts does your little red knife have?

Using this Shun knife seems a little similar to brining your own knife/fork to McDonalds, although I have at times taken my own mugs to coffee shops.

Bode

Is there any truth to their  idea that a sharper steak knife preserves the flavor of the meat ?  Id love to see the research on that one.

Maybe Cooks Illustrated  could go there ....

Preserve the flavor? I don't think a dull knife would change the flavor but certainly mouth feel. I have non-seratted steak knives that are kept very sharp. The mouth feel of a smooth slice of juicy steak is much better than a ripped up slice from a serrated knife.

If one was to bring a knife to a joint for steak eating, it certainly shouldn't be limited to Shun's knife marketed as such. Any folder would work. But then there are laws regarding blade length one can carry in a pocket or purse. I just checked. The Shun's blade length of 3.5" is in the same general length as standard every day carries (EDC's). Looks like they thought of that too.

Would I buy it or bring another option to a restaurant to cut my steak? Probably not. I'd be surprised if high-end steak houses use serrated knives just like Sizzler does.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Quite a common custom among the French with Laguiole folding knives.

A test of whether the sharpness of the knife affects the flavor is something that Cook's Illustrated is quite capable of: "Full of the sound and fury and signifying absolutely nothing"!-Dick

BTW EDC for the City of Chicago is 2.5" blade length. I have had two Custom folders built for me over the years to meet this ordinance.

http://www.chicityclerk.com/legislation/co...hapter8_24.html -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

Is there any truth to their  idea that a sharper steak knife preserves the flavor of the meat ?  Id love to see the research on that one.

Maybe Cooks Illustrated  could go there ....

I for one want to be part of this research team. Where do I sign up. :raz:

Marketing hype aside (they could have come up with a more compelling way to sell a portable steak knife, perhaps for picnics or even hotel room service), this still looks like a gorgeous bit of craftsmanship and I'll closely watch for a good sale to add this to my collection.

I couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of $$$ for a little folder steak knife, I bought a little beech handle Opinel (French) folder for $10., looks great with a 4" razor sharp blade. Your can get them smaller and with carbon steel or stainless blades, fancy handles, etc.

Mongin makes really fancy $$$ ones

:wub: every one should own at least one of these.