• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FoodTV Canada

Pam R

Gabe is actually a 47 year old veteren of the Canadian stage.

You should have seen his Richard III back in 1987 opposite Anne Murray.

Now I really feel deceived.

That must have been Richard III - the Musical. I hear he beat out Christopher Plummer, and stole his Tony . . . poor bastard.

:laugh:

• 1 year later...

We just reconfigured our TV subscription and now get Foodnetwork CANADA. I watched it in Utah for several months, but the shows seem quite different. Alton Brown, if you could ignore the 'cuteness' was very interesting.

Please someone help me figure out if there is anything worth looking out for and watching.

I have Pam R's list of shows from Dec 07

Checking the FTVC website we've got:

The Heat (I enjoy it when I see it. I grew up in a catering company, so I can relate.)

Food Jammers

Chef at Home

Chef at Large (he's done some interesting episodes)

Eat Shrink and Be Merry

Ricardo and Friends

French Food at Home

The Main

Restaurant Makeover

Thirsty Traveller

Surreal Gourmet & Glutton for Punishment - do we could these as Canadian?

Sugar

Opening Soon

Kitchen Equipped

Just One Bite

I do, Let's Eat!

Fixing Dinner

Fink

But it seems that most of them are not listed now, except Chef at Home which I don't like. It's not his recipes...it's the constant weird camera shots and his lecturing the kindergarten kid tone of voice.

What is good on Food Network these days? Thanks. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

But it seems that most of them are not listed now, except Chef at Home which I don't like.  It's not his recipes...it's the constant weird camera shots and his lecturing the kindergarten kid tone of voice.

Yes! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds his TV presence to be a bit irritating, even though his food usually looks decent.

I don't really watch Food TV regularly anymore. It's the first thing I'll turn on if I'm just channel-surfing, and there are a few shows I don't mind having on, but I don't really make a point of watching anything other than Top Chef.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I sometimes watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The host is annoying but I like seeing what people I may never know about otherwise are doing that has their local area going nuts over them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I sometimes watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The host is annoying but I like seeing what people I may never know about otherwise are doing that has their local area going nuts over them.

Yes! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds his TV presence to be a bit irritating, even though his food usually looks decent.

Two annoying chef/hosts. You could add to that Rachel Ray who is perky beyond endurance and Alton Brown, whose information and recipes are wonderful, but that show...with the lady in the fridge and all the corny costumes.

And yesterday I watched some bloke who was trying to improve someone's restaurant in England. Could be Restaurant Makeover...I didn't catch the title. Every sentence had a word bleeped out. Very strange.

I've downloaded Sunday and Monday. This week I'll look for Top Chef.

Thanks. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm actually enjoying Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food. I think it's an interesting experiment. I used to hate watching him, but have enjoyed the last couple of his series that they've aired.

Other than that, Top Chef is the only thing I can think of that I really enjoy. There are a few shows that I don't mind having on in the background when I'm working in the kitchen, but nothing else is really coming to mind.

I did watch most of 100-Mile Challenge that they're re-airing now. But it really annoyed me.

I gotta tell you, I actually like this show. Americans know how to do down and dirty diner food real good, y'all! Too bad we can't get more stuff like that in Canada (can't believe I'm saying that..)

I loathe Restaurant Makeover, which always seems to be on as I settle into bed....

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I gotta tell you, I actually like this show. Americans know how to do down and dirty diner food real good, y'all! Too bad we can't get more stuff like that in Canada (can't believe I'm saying that..)

I loathe Restaurant Makeover, which always seems to be on as I settle into bed....

Strangely enough I just watched 15 minutes of Diners, Drive-ins, etc and found it rather interesting and the host was just fine. I was surprised. Nicely.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I like triple D, always have cravings for greasy food afterwards :biggrin:

I like Jamie's Ministry of Food and Anna Olsen's Fresh.

I can't stand Chef at Home. Is or me, or do they play it constantly???

The Main bugs me too. Do we get Top Chef Masters? I wish, I havent seen it yet.

There doesnt seem to be much thats too new.

Top Chef Masters will be on in the fall. I don't know why they're doing that -- Top Chef used to be on long after it was shown in the US, but the last couple of seasons were shown at the same time. It's annoying.

Why did they give a football player a cooking show? Did we really need another grilling show? With a quarterback host? (It's called Road Grill).

I don't think we're getting Top Chef Masters until fall. I'm watching it by other means but I'm pretty sure someone posted in the topic on that show that it will be in Canada this fall on the food network. For some reason Bravo Canada doesn't carry it.

Edit: Pam beat me to that one. :biggrin:

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I did like the one show I saw with Anna Olson's Fresh

Last night on the news, Gordon Ramsay, who never knew a curse word he couldn't use apparently, has now apologized in Australia for called a female chef some choice epithets.

I did watch him the other night. I didn't catch the name of the program. This being the summer, I don't turn on the TV very often. I'll no doubt learn the lineup slowly as I go.

I thought Ramsay was on Restaurant Makeover, but last night the word Hell was involved. Like Chef from Hell, or something.

Amazing how they can take such a wonderful topic, like cooking, etc, and turn it into the silliest, most appalling shows. :hmmm: Like the rest of the TV lineup....

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ramsey has Kitchen Nightmares and the F Word on FTC.

Restaurant Makeover (which seems to be on a 24/7 loop) is a Canadian show (I think it's always Toronto, no?). FTC pays half and the restaurant owner pays half. They bring in a designer and a chef to makeover the place.

The list of shows airing now:

100 Mile Challenge

30-Minute Meals (RR)

Ace of Cakes

Barefoot Contessa

Big Daddy's House

Boy Meets Grill

Boy's Weekend

Chef Abroad (another Michael Smith show)

Chef at home

Christine Cushing Live (despite the name, I don't think they make them anymore)

Chuck's Day Off

Cook Like a Chef

Cooking for Real

Crash My Kitchen

Dear Good Network Grilling

DDD

Dinner: Impossible

Food Detectives

Food Jammers

French Food at home

Fresh with Anna

Giada at Home

Glutten for Punishment

Good Eats

Grill it with Bobby Flay

Guy's Big Bite

How'd that Get on My Plate?

Iron Chef

Jamie's Ministry of Food

Jamie's Eat to Save your Life

Jamie's Fowl Dinners

Kitchen Nightmares

Licence to Grill

nigella Feasts

Opening Soon

Paula's Best Dishes

Restaurant Makeover

Ricardo and Freiends

Road Grill

Simply Delicioso

The Chef Jeff Project

The F Word

The Heat

The Main

Next Foodnetwork Star

Thirsty Traveller

Wild Chef

Throwdown with Bobby Flay

Unwrapped

Will Work For Food

Lots to choose from but very few that I look for.

Ramsey has Kitchen Nightmares  and the F Word on FTC.

Restaurant Makeover (which seems to be on a 24/7 loop) is a Canadian show (I think it's always Toronto, no?).  FTC pays half and the restaurant owner pays half. They bring in a designer and a chef to makeover the place.

The list of shows airing now:

Thanks for all the information. Too bad the quality of the shows is not very good.

I'll eventually download all the schedules and see what I might watch. The food shows seem to be mirroring the regular TV shows. You'd be hard pressed to find much to watch anymore...unless you watch reruns. Fortunately I am a bear of very little brain and I can forget who is the bad guy every time on Law & Order and CSI.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

...Big Daddy's House...

...Guy's Big Bite...

On behalf of the U.S., I'd like to apologize for exporting "Big Daddy's House" and "Guy's Big Bite" to your shores. At least we haven't inflicted "Down Home with the Neeley's" on you. Yet....

Truer words, as they say......

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

...Big Daddy's House...

...Guy's Big Bite...

On behalf of the U.S., I'd like to apologize for exporting "Big Daddy's House" and "Guy's Big Bite" to your shores. At least we haven't inflicted "Down Home with the Neeley's" on you. Yet....

Truer words, as they say......

Down Home with the Neeley's( Hey Big Daddy) was on last year. I had to turn it every, single time. But, thankfully we dont have Sandra Lee here!!

But, thankfully we dont have Sandra Lee here!!

Shhhhhh. Food Network Canada might hear you! :biggrin:

Jamie's Fowl Dinners

I'm very surprised to see this on the Food Network. For some reason I thought their usual sponsors would simply not pay for advertisement during such a show hence making the show less attractive for the network. I guess Jamie Saves our Bacon is next.

I haven't seen Jamies Eat to save your life or Fowl dinners..are they on now? I get homesick when I watch Wild Chef.. I really enjoy Martin and Hugue...they crack me up. I enjoy Throwdown too.