• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Dough recipes

mexigaf

I'm looking for different pasta recipes to try out for a small article. More than anything I want to try to see the differences that more eggs and different flours contribute to the final product. Also i'm interested in trying pasta doughs that incorporate other flavors and the challenges that extra moisture adds to the equation. Ill post pictures when done

TIA :biggrin:

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

A few things to try:

I make a sort of standard pasta dough with 1/2 semolina flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour, whole eggs, olive oil (about 1 tbl / egg), salt & black pepper. I usually start w// about 3 eggs to 1 1/2 cups flour mix, and add more 'til I get the consistency I like.

I make a rather nicer pasta dough, based on the TFL cookbook, that uses just all-purpose flour, egg yolks only, about 1 tbl oil-oil per 3-5 egg yolks, salt, etc. The slow incorporation of flour and insane amount of kneading that Keller recommends here actually do make a difference to the final product...

In terms of flavored pasta dough, I usually use the "standard" version. I've added the following sorts of things: curry powder (madras), porcini dust, lemon juice and/or zest, of course basil puree, spinach puree, red-pepper puree, etc.

Hope this helps for things to try...

jk

For the sake of contrast, I'll share my all time favorite egg noodle recipe for such things as homemade chicken soup, chicken and dumplings, and other heavy warming wintry dishes.

This is a very rich egg dough, that produces a dense, homey almost chewy noodle.

Two and a half cups of flour, a big pinch of salt, two eggs, half a cup of milk and a few tablespoons of melted butter.