• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril Gone On FoodTV

GlorifiedRice

FINALLY!  I am happy for him.  FN has whored him out for too long.  I wish him the best and thank him for all he has done for food and TV.  He has inspired millions.  Cheers Emeril.

How? What provisions of his contract with FN are you referring to?

Food Network should change its name to Cleavers and Cleavage.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

FINALLY!  I am happy for him.  FN has whored him out for too long.  I wish him the best and thank him for all he has done for food and TV.  He has inspired millions.  Cheers Emeril.

More to the point- FN pimped him out, he whored himself out. I hope the door didn't hit him too hard on the way out.

AMEN!! :raz:

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

[

She said that they cut her (and I'm more or less quoting) because she wasn't young enough and that she didn't have enough cleavage. Then, right after that, she launched into a history of sexual discrimination at the Food Network dating back to day one. It was really well put, funny, and not surprising.

G*d, why am I not surprised by either cleavage or the sexual discrimination issues. :hmmm: But, gosh, she was just so darn normal and knowledgable.

I enjoy Everyday Italian - so if cleavage is the issue then Giada should be around for awhile.

However... Paula D. has neither cleavage or age on her side. She also doesn't have a healthy diet in mind with the dishes I have seen her prepare. The mere sound of her voice can drive me from the room. I'll take Sara's knowledge and teaching any day.

fixed a typo

does anyone remember "cooking with caprial"? now that was a cooking show :wink:

Maybe we can petition them to have Food Network Classic.  They can show all of the old shows like Cooking Live, A Cooks Tour, Julia Child, Molto Mario, Two Hot Tamales, etc.

don't forget the two fat ladies, frugal gourmet and yan can cook!!!!

i loved public television's cooking line up.

Thread made me think of shows that I used to like watching a lot on FN, malto mario, Sara Moulton, a cooks tour, and others. It does beg the question, is there a market for quality food/cooking shows?

Thread made me think of shows that I used to like watching a lot on FN, malto mario, Sara Moulton, a cooks tour, and others.  It does beg the question, is there a market for quality food/cooking shows?

A very niche one. Food Network has never been more profitable than it is now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/17/business/media/17food.html

Changing Courses at the Food Network

By ELIZABETH JENSEN

Published: December 17, 2007

You can find chef Emeril Lagasse’s name and face all over a dozen cookbooks, 10 restaurants, lines of pots and pans, knives, Wedgwood dishes, spices, salad dressings and pasta sauces, and even a deep fryer.

But as of last week, it will no longer be found on new episodes of his signature “Emeril Live” show on the Food Network. The program taped its last installments and laid off a half-dozen staff members, bringing an end to an impressive 11-year, every-weeknight run. [...]

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/17/business/media/17food.html
Changing Courses at the Food Network

By ELIZABETH JENSEN

Published: December 17, 2007

You can find chef Emeril Lagasse’s name and face all over a dozen cookbooks, 10 restaurants, lines of pots and pans, knives, Wedgwood dishes, spices, salad dressings and pasta sauces, and even a deep fryer.

But as of last week, it will no longer be found on new episodes of his signature “Emeril Live” show on the Food Network. The program taped its last installments and laid off a half-dozen staff members, bringing an end to an impressive 11-year, every-weeknight run. [...]

Interesting article I laughed out loud when I read this :

Ms. Johnson called “Top Chef” a copy of “The Next Food Network Star,” but “without the care about the food content, which we bring to everything we do.”

• 5 months later...

An update:

Emeril Lagasse to switch to Fine Living network

Emeril Lagasse is leaving the Food Network's prime-time schedule for the Fine Living Network, a move the chef hopes will mean a second course of "Emeril Live!"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting article I laughed out loud when I read this :
Ms. Johnson called “Top Chef” a copy of “The Next Food Network Star,” but “without the care about the food content, which we bring to everything we do.”

LOL I'm dying over here!

An update:

Emeril Lagasse is leaving the Food Network's prime-time schedule for the Fine Living Network, a move the chef hopes will mean a second course of "Emeril Live!"

So aren't the two channels related. Just a lateral move from one sister network to the other. I guess the demographics are different on FL than on FN.

• 1 month later...
An update:

So aren't the two channels related. Just a lateral move from one sister network to the other. I guess the demographics are different on FL than on FN.

Fine Living is becoming a publicly Nielsen-rated network in the fall so they're trotting out all the old FN warhorses to drum up interest. Molto Mario has been on there, Thirsty Traveler and the original Iron Chef (retitled Iron Chef Japan and sans Backdraft music) are in late night Monday-Friday. Emeril Live replaced back to back Molto Mario runs at 7pm, not sure where they'll park Molto Mario next.

Martha Stewart has a show as well.