• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril Gone On FoodTV

GlorifiedRice

I think that she called it perfectly.

I agree. I didn't always get a chance to see Sara's show, but I liked it when I did. I found it curious when they didn't renew her contract. Now Mario and Emeril are gone and all that remains is vapid programming. Can Alton Brown's exit be far behind...

She said that they cut her (and I'm more or less quoting) because she wasn't young enough and that she didn't have enough cleavage. Then, right after that, she launched into a history of sexual discrimination at the Food Network dating back to day one. It was really well put, funny, and not surprising.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Apart from ICA, is that the last professional chef left on Food Network?

They still have Bobby Flay doing that "Throwdown" show. Of course, it's not a traditional how to cooking show.

I like Emeril. His "live" show is over the top in the same way Letterman can be. Filiming/taping in front of a a LIVE audience isn't like filiming on a set with no audience. His "Essense" show is pretty good, and he is FAR more "normal" there than he is in the ampled up "Live" show. If I was in the same boat as Emeril, I think I would ahve ridden the gravy train for as long as possible, too. He IS a real chef. He worked his way up through the industry. If you can be fortunate enough to rake in some serious bucks, why not do it? I don't think it's too shameful.

Also, I've had good experiences at two of his restaurants in Las Vegas. I'd love to go to some of his places in New Orleans.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I think that she called it perfectly.

I agree. I didn't always get a chance to see Sara's show, but I liked it when I did. I found it curious when they didn't renew her contract. Now Mario and Emeril are gone and all that remains is vapid programming. Can Alton Brown's exit be far behind...

She said that they cut her (and I'm more or less quoting) because she wasn't young enough and that she didn't have enough cleavage. Then, right after that, she launched into a history of sexual discrimination at the Food Network dating back to day one. It was really well put, funny, and not surprising.

I remember Sara's comments from her Q&A here awhile ago. Which means, sadly, by current FN's standards neither Julia Child nor Jacques Pepin would cut the mustard either, so to speak.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Today I read, among the many articles on this, that the move to an earlier time slot made little or no difference .. the ratings were no higher ... and it is all about ratings ...

Maybe 10 years of anything, no matter how good, is enough ...

What those clowns at FN SHOULD be paying attention to is their overall viewership. I would like to know what that is. I can't imagine, even given the average tv audience, that they have gained many viewers in the last three years or so. Sure, they can bag Emeril, but, in reality, whether you liked the show or not, it was probably the most interesting thing going on there for the last two years or so-even if it was repetitive and dull to most folks who have an interest in learning anything about food and cooking.

It's funny, but several years ago (it was before the storm, so maybe 3?) I saw Sara Moulton speak here in New Orleans and she was brutally blunt about how screwed up the management was at FN and how ALL they cared about was some kind of middle ground entertainment for the masses and they didn't have any interest in any real cooking instruction or information (somewhere around here I wrote a long post about this, but I can't find it right now). I think that she called it perfectly.

I liked Bourdain's comments on Next Food Network Star that the withering gaze and condescending speech of the network "judges" must have been very familiar to Sara. I think it was on a Ruhlman blog entry and I can't paraphrase to do it justice.

[

G*d, why am I not surprised by either cleavage or the sexual discrimination issues. :hmmm: But, gosh, she was just so darn normal and knowledgable.

Edited by kalypso (log)

[

G*d, why am I not surprised by either cleavage or the sexual discrimination issues. :hmmm: But, gosh, she was just so darn normal and knowledgable.

I enjoy Everyday Italian - so if cleavage is the issue then Giada should be around for awhile.

However... Paula D. has neither cleavage or age on her side. She also doesn't have a healthy diet in mind with the dishes I have seen her prepare. The mere sound of her voice can drive me from the room. I'll take Sara's knowledge and teaching any day.

fixed a typo

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Maybe we can petition them to have Food Network Classic.  They can show all of the old shows like Cooking Live, A Cooks Tour, Julia Child, Molto Mario, Two Hot Tamales, etc.

That idea should have at least some appeal to them - airing episodes that they've already paid for. $$$ makes the world go 'round.

Maybe, just maybe, I would become a viewer again if they did that. I'm sick to death of their lame "Holiday" shows, let alone their daily fare of intellectually half-cooked nonsense (road shows being the worst).

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Maybe we can petition them to have Food Network Classic.  They can show all of the old shows like Cooking Live, A Cooks Tour, Julia Child, Molto Mario, Two Hot Tamales, etc.

I had the same idea since they own Fine Living and show Ming and Molto Mario anyway. Make it the high end food channel and show some cooking.

Maybe they could consider a new series called "Pimp My Food".

Actually, have you ever seen the website Pimp My Snack? Go there today.

Hilarious. My daughter and I are doing a giant potsticker and calling it the potcrusher. :raz:

I just wanted to say, that since I have started to learn about food and cooking I often watched the food network for techniques and such. But now that I know a little more about food I find most of the shows just terrible and the food laughable. Not that I am a great cook, but I doubt I will be making Rachel Ray's hot dog saled any time soon. :hmmm:

I actually watched the holiday dessert battle on iron chef and was floored when one of the judges yelled across the room to Paula Dean, "hey why do you talk like that you are from Massachusetts"

I have also noticed various snide remarks comming from Alton Brown, Emeril as well as some interesting looks on Mario Batali's face, particularly when he had to suffer an iron chef battle with Rachel Ray.

This has been an interesting thread.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

To quote Batali, who has lost a show and kept a show (or at least his temporary appearances on ICA)the FN is going more "mass market."  Or maybe he said "ass?" Or maybe that's just what I heard. 

I'm looking forward (way forward) to enjoying Emeril as an old creole-style chef on PBS one of these years. I will not miss (not have I watched in years) the hordes of hyenas losing their damn minds every time he threw too much garlic into a pot.

What is ICA?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Sara Moulton was a very knowledgeable person, YES.

But, I also thought her annoyingness factor was too high.

She apologized too much for touching the food and banging the utensils on the bowls and her on and off smile was distracting...

And everytime she cooked turkey it was "Turkey-Lurkey"

She could be as plain as a Quaker or ugly as a horse and flat chested and Id have watched her religiously if she wasnt so annoying...

She also chewed with her mouth open...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Hey, careful with that, they don't like it when you slam ex-FN personalities around here :biggrin:

Seriously, all those years of "serious foodies" making fun of Emeril, the Bourdain slam on ACT (though he did later retract it), the NYT article (think it was Hesser maybe?) accusing Emeril of being a crap cook, the complaints about sloppy technique and now the guy's a hero because his flagship program got cancelled? Jeez Louise, I can't wait to see the gnashing of teeth when 30 minute meals bites the dust. The groundwork has already been laid in the "Sandra Lee is sooo much worse" commentary.

As for Batali's comment, well, all that has to happen is for him or one of his cronies to get a show on FN and the tune will change. Look at what Bourdain did after Ruhlman got the NIC gig. It's all showbiz and a yard wide.

I hope he is going to focus on his resturants more now that he will have time.

I love his reaturants in New Orleans, but when my family and I were in Orlando we were warned by the locals to stay away

For sure . . . the Orlando restaurant was awful

I do think the network might be listening a little or maybe it's the writer's strike but Two Dudes Catering is not on the line up any time soon.

Reality show jobs aren't union jobs. That's why their writers are not on strike, and why the joke is that from next week on it's all-reality, all the time.

Which, um, makes me wonder - did Emeril write "Bam!!!"? And if not him, what unsung hero came up with that one? And what is he or she doing now?

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Which, um, makes me wonder - did Emeril write "Bam!!!"? And if not him, what unsung hero came up with that one?  And what is he or she doing now?

Emeril tells the story that on the very first cooking show he did they would tape for several episodes at a crack which meant very long days in the studio. During a taping he noticed a production person getting glassy-eyed or nodding off and yelled "BAM" out of nowhere to startle the crew back into alertness. That was the birth of BAM.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

As for the comment on Paula Dean and her voice I have no problem with it

My apologies for not being more specific. I don't have a problem with her accent. The sound of her voice means "Her show is on" and since I personally very much do not like her style of cooking and her style of interacting with guests and the audience I don't want to have to even hear the sound of the show being on. Alton Brown is based somewhere in or near Atlanta and I am a big fan of his.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

As for the comment on Paula Dean and her voice I have no problem with it

My apologies for not being more specific. I don't have a problem with her accent. The sound of her voice means "Her show is on" and since I personally very much do not like her style of cooking and her style of interacting with guests and the audience I don't want to have to even hear the sound of the show being on. Alton Brown is based somewhere in or near Atlanta and I am a big fan of his.

No need to say anything else my mom's voice bothers me too! :laugh: and believe me I some times wish there was a control volume when I am around her.

It is something about people in Savannah (bless their hearts), but they tend to sound or push their accents more - don't know if it has to do with the tourist or if people think that is how we are suppose to sound down there, but it is a whole nother animal down there - my accent gets really thick once I hit Chatham County (savannah), but once I come back home I sound like a normal human being.

Believe me nobody says Y'all that much - what cracks me up the most is that Paula Dean (thou has been good for the city- money wise) has not lived in Savannah for very long about 20 years ( 20 years is not long according to people born there not my view - it is a very clickish town) - she is from Albany, Ga.

You were talking about her show - my understanding is most of the guest are people who are visiting not locals - I heard the tickets were very pricey - also there is a tour you can take (don't ask me why) and that people from all over line up!

As for Alton Brown yes he is from up here and that is how most southern's speak.

Does anybody remember Taste  on the FNW? I loved that show

Yeah, I loved that show. Haven't watched much since it left :sad:

She also chewed with her mouth open...

That, alone, is enough for me to change the channel and blacklist the product (like those horrible Carl's Jr. ads........God help us!) :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Or the ones where you could hear the lip-smacking , slurping noises.........I can't even recall. Maybe those were CJ, too? I HATED them ! CHANGE THE CHANNEL !!!!

OK, OK, I'm under control now.....Just don't chew loudly next to me, please..... :cool:

Bizarre Foods Zimmern is the worst for that open mouth smackin' chewin' noise...

I don't want to see, and hear, your mouth open an inch in between chews!

Sara Moulton is/was a more serious cooking show, but she was just so nervous, jittery, and time conscious...

Consequently, any humorous comments sailed right by her...

Certainly there was no 'prime time' fire, vibe, or energy...

Good calm PBS cooking instruction show potential for her tho...

I do like her--- and I thought she was a real cutiepie when she made herself up all pretty-like...

Squintin' at those Q-cards!

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

And Two Fat Ladies! I loved those two!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.