• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stovetop Dessert

Patrick A.

Tell the other member of the team to wipe that d@#n plate! :raz:

Seriously though, grilled fruit in ginger glaze sounds tasty to me. I think I'd rather have it with ice cream than angel food cake personally but it still sounds good.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Seriously though, grilled fruit in ginger glaze sounds tasty to me. I think I'd rather have it with ice cream than angel food cake personally but it still sounds good.

I agree--with all that runny-looking glaze on the plate, that angel food cake is going to get soggy fast. I hate soggy cake!

If not ice cream, at least a cake with more body, like pound cake. Or even biscuits/scones would be better.

I agree--with all that runny-looking glaze on the plate, that angel food cake is going to get soggy fast. I hate soggy cake!

If not ice cream, at least a cake with more body, like pound cake. Or even biscuits/scones would be better.

Great idea... like a play on strawberry shortcake. I like the biscuit idea...

Here is the finalized dessert.

gallery_51321_5348_130009.jpg

It basically the same recipe but i add a traditional powdered mole mixture (chocolate & chile and a couple of other things in it) to the ginger sauce. We add papaya, mangoes, dried cransins and cherries, and golden raisins, oh and banana. The white sauce is heavy cream, brown sugar, more of the mole, and coconut creme. The red sauce is basically a raspberry and blackberry sugar/syrup reduction ( I over did the water on this one :blink: ). It also has a mint sprig and sugar tear drops with a dried cherries.

If anyone has any ideas let me know. I need some ideas for the sauce design, I've been told its to symmetrical. I was think I'd just do 3 lines instead.

We are kinda tight on two burners, since i use them first for the sugar work, grilling fruits, making reduction, and making ginger sauce. Then the other use them.

Here is the entree and starter. (Just thought i'd show them)

gallery_51321_5348_421474.jpg

This is chipote glazed lamb with veggie medley and quinoa

gallery_51321_5348_633209.jpg

This is a avocado, black bean stacked salad with a salsa

And all of this is NM southwesternish themed.

I have recipes if anyone wants them

We are practicing again on Monday so I'll post more pictures soon

Looks good to me. I don't know what's "too symetrical" about it. There are plates that look good with that super casual "I just sorta tossed everything towards the plate" paint spatter thing going on... but not often. Usually they either look like a train wreck or they look like they were very carefully arranged to not look like they were very carefully arranged. I still think some ice cream in that glass under the fruit and a piece of some sort of meringue/cake/biscuit or something taking the mango's place would be nice but that's just my opinion, not criticizing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So the red sauce of the dessert will be reduced a little more? I think it should hold together better on the plate--if it runs under the glass as it's doing in that picture, it's going to look sloppy and unprofessional.

Will the judges be given a dessert knife to deal with the mango, or at least a dessert spoon and fork? If not, you might want to consider not serving it on the skin.

Yeah, I'd reduce it or tighten it up a bit with some pectin or xanthan. I don't think it looks bad partly under the glass though, since it's clear glass the color shows through and is kinda a nice effect. Of course the judges may not agree.

I just saw the perfect thing to add to that glass of fruit. I was on my regular morning visit to Ideas in Food and right there at the top of the page it was staring at me like they planned it. Their latest creation, complete with recipe. Ritz Cracker Ice Cream!

I think I would only add one kind of dried fruit. To me, that dessert looks a little messy, like you're trying to do too much. The sauces intrigue me and I hope that the flavors blend well and aren't competing with each other. You have a lot of things going on and I'm of the KISS mindset.

I like the grilled fruit, but I agree it should be off the skin. You can serve it so it looks like it's on the skin, but as it is I think it would be a little difficult to eat.

I agree that the red sauce should be thicker.

Wish I could taste it!

You have a lot of things going on and I'm of the KISS mindset.

I guess it's all about perspective. I got the opposite feeling. I didn't view it as a lot of things going on, I saw it more as not enough going on. It's like a gathering of tasty garnishes with no focus point to pull them together. That's why I keep going on about ice cream, cake, meringue, etc. I don't see a lot of point to the sauces on the plate (no matter how tasty they are) other than appearance when the fruit is already in it's own sauce in a seperate glass, there's nothing to mop them up with. I just can't picture someone taking a spoon of fruit covered in sauce from the glass and trying to scrape some of the plate sauce into it before taking a bite.

I guess it's all about perspective. I got the opposite feeling. I didn't view it as a lot of things going on, I saw it more as not enough going on. It's like a gathering of tasty garnishes with no focus point to pull them together. That's why I keep going on about ice cream, cake, meringue, etc. I don't see a lot of point to the sauces on the plate (no matter how tasty they are) other than appearance when the fruit is already in it's own sauce in a seperate glass, there's nothing to mop them up with. I just can't picture someone taking a spoon of fruit covered in sauce from the glass and trying to scrape some of the plate sauce into it before taking a bite.

I am totally about the KISS too, but i have to agree with you, i do not see the focus of the dessert, more like garnishes and accompaniments then a main item, and i totally agree things served in a glass like that need to literally stand on their own, as a consumer is not going to take it out of the glass and put it on the plate mop it around and then back on the spoon and into their mouths.

If it is about grilled fruit then pick one or two fruits in season and focus on them and then build the rest around it, adding a cookie or cake piece of some sort to become more of a neutral way of conveying the unique flavors of your sauces etc will also add to the feeling of a more "dessert" experience of eating just grilled fruit.

IMO of course i do love the sounds of some of your sauces, i just think you need a bit more focus

Eric

Another variation to the same dessert - why not take a fresh pineapple, cut off the top, core it. Then you could get artistic and carve patterns onto the outside, and then grill it (which would leave your carved patterns yellow, while the skin would be darkened). Fill that with the fruit mixture. Then you would have a clear focal point, get to demonstrate some knife skills, and have a container that would be easier to eat than the mango cubes.

I agree - I just didn't frame my position properly. To me there were many components, but no clear star of the dessert.