• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy rabbit?

Mano

Looking for butchers that sell fresh rabbit. I've seen it in years past at the Italian Market, but don't recall where. Any recommendations would be appreciated, as would rabbit recipes.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Thanks for the quick-as-a-bunny replies!

I'll contact them both. D'artagnan also has them, but I'd rather buy local.

Lenski, is Chelsea Markets in Philly or NYC?

Edited by Mano (log)

Thanks for the quick-as-a-bunny replies!

I'll contact them both.  D'artagnan also has them, but I'd rather buy local.

Check out H-Mart Levittown location. I can't vouch for how fresh it is cause I've not had it but I go there regularly for all things asian. The other day I was in line and the lady behind me bought some and it looked good and the price was cheap. The produce is always super fresh and their meats do look pretty good. It's worth a try and its local.

1138 Oxford Valley Rd

Levittown, PA 19057

(215) 949-1003

T

Check out H-Mart Levittown location. I can't vouch for how fresh it is cause I've not had it but I go there regularly for all things asian. The other day I was in line and the lady behind me bought some and it looked good and the price was cheap. The produce is always super fresh and their meats do look pretty good. It's worth a try and its local.

1138 Oxford Valley Rd

Levittown, PA 19057

(215) 949-1003

Thanks Jeff, it's in my neck of the woods, and I just called and had this hilarious conversation:

mano: Hi, do you have rabbit?

H-Mart (very nice lady with very heavy Asian accent): Rait? What's it? No have.

mano: Rabbit, bunny

H-mart: No have

m: I was told you have rabbit

h: meat, rabbit?

m: yes

h: no have, wait... (she gets someone who speaks better English, but still an accent)

m: do you carry rabbit?

h: yes...rabbit?

m: yes, rabbit, meat...

h: yes

m: how much does it cost?

h: no carry cos

m: what is the price of the rabbit?

h: no have rabbit...

and so it went.

Maybe I'll take a trip, as I'd like to check it out anyway.

Edited by Mano (log)

I'm pretty sure they always have it but they don't speak English too well as you have learned. Tough to know what language people speak as they carry Chinese, Japanese, Korean and some Thai stuff there.

Check out the ginger there, nicest looking stuff I've seen anywhere and inexpensive

I've bought rabbit at Godshall's in the Reading Terminal Market.  I'm pretty sure, though, that it wasn't fresh, but frozen.

On second thought, I think it was actually fresh. At least, the guy cut the rabbit into itty-bitty bunny pieces for me. I guess he could have cut up a frozen rabbit, but it seems more likely that he cut up a fresh one.

oh hell, I have no idea. but they definitely carry the bunnies there!

Well, I'm hot on the bunny trail. Godshall's and Sonny D'Angelo both carry fresh rabbit; Martin's doesn't. Both say the rabbits are butchered elsewhere, but they're guaranteed fresh. They asked that I call a few days ahead.

Thanks, all!.

This Saturday I'm making a dozen stuffed quail for my wine and dinner group. New Years Eve we're serving rabbit at our annual Finer Things Club dinner. :raz:

Check out H-Mart Levittown location.

wow, i wish that had been there when i was growing up.

Thanks Jeff, it's in my neck of the woods, and I just called and had this hilarious conversation:

perhaps this page will help:

http://www.rabbit.org/links/translate.html

although i suspect the folks from the house rabbit society might not appreciate why you want to know....

...outside the poultry slaughterer's, between Federal and Ellsworth...

One of my strangest experiences ever was sitting outside La Lupe eating my lunch and hearing a rooster crowing. At first I thought it was someone's TV set that had their apartment window open. Then it kept happening. :blink:

I finally realized it was coming from the poultry place just up the street. Quite bizarre. I've never forgotten that the poultry place is there, but I'm kinda skeered to go in. I prefer a rather impersonal relationship with my food. Wrapped in plastic and sitting on a styrofoam tray is just fine with me. Or even ordering over the phone and going to pick it up. But I don't want to meet it, necessarily. At least before it hits my kitchen or my plate.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Check out H-Mart Levittown location.

wow, i wish that had been there when i was growing up.

It's really quite a nice place James. Lots of incredible vegetables you can't find anywhere (outside of Philly) else and way cheap too. It's small but they cram lots of Chinese canned goods, bottled goods, etc into the space. They also have the freshest looking fish I've seen, (red snapper @ $7.00 per lb) and tons of different packaged noodles, some like on Race Street, fresh rice noodles that I particularly like.

no doubt -- i've been to h-mart in cherry hill, and cheltenham, and upper darby. when i was growing up there, though, where it is was like, a wendys. and the italian people's bakery, which wasn't all that, and a vacuum cleaner repairman, and a card store.... oh and a dingy old seafood place. and some woods that i assume aren't there anymore.... hm, no, from google satellite view it would appear that things are still pretty much the way they were. weird.

...outside the poultry slaughterer's, between Federal and Ellsworth...

I finally realized it was coming from the poultry place just up the street. Quite bizarre. I've never forgotten that the poultry place is there, but I'm kinda skeered to go in. I prefer a rather impersonal relationship with my food. Wrapped in plastic and sitting on a styrofoam tray is just fine with me. Or even ordering over the phone and going to pick it up. But I don't want to meet it, necessarily. At least before it hits my kitchen or my plate.

I'm scared to go in because it's so expensive. Duck is $3-something a pound! Why go there when the 1st Oriental has it for $1-something?

This is getting a little bit off topic, but has anyone actually bought something (dead or alive) from the slaughterer's?

sorry, but..........

since when is $3/ lb for duck considered expensive?

i routinely pay $3.50/lb for d'artagnan whole ducks and consider it a bargain for the quality.

Umm...since starting as a grad student?

If you can spare a $3/lb duck, I'm right around the corner from the slaughterer's... :biggrin: