• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A better tart pan?

paulraphael

I bake a lot of tarts, and use the standard french tinned steel pans. But the pans don't seem to work that well. I've jumped through every imaginable hoop, but can never get the parts of the shell covered by the tin to brown enough. The tinned steel either insulates too much or it reflects too much radiant heat.

Are there materials that might do better? I'd like to avoid the siliness of non-stick, if possible. I did a quick google search for blue steel or blackened steel and didn't find anything.

Or .. what about blackening the tin? Anything I could do on the outsides of the pans that would permanently darken them?

Notes from the underbelly

Stoneware's a very slow conductor. Almost certainly a step in the wrong direction.

I was hoping for blue steel or blackened steel. Or some good oven-proof spray paint.

perhaps something here http://www.culinarycookware.com/catalog.as...ry=Tart%20Molds blued steel halfway down page

Edited by jpdchef (log)

• 1 month later...
if you get a chance,report back on how well they work out for you.

I've had these for a while now and have made a few tarts with them. They're perfect! Absolutely even browning of the tart shell; there's no visible color change between where the shell is covered by the pan and where it's open to the air.

Why aren't these more popular? Am I the only one who has issues with the tinned steel pans?

Thanks again for the tip.

Notes from the underbelly

I've had these for a while now and have made a few tarts with them. They're perfect! Absolutely even browning of the tart shell; there's no visible color change between where the shell is covered by the pan and where it's open to the air.

Why aren't these more popular? Am I the only one who has issues with the tinned steel pans?

Thanks again for the tip.

Could you tell us exactly which ones you've been trying out? thanks.

ETA: oops, just saw the comment "blued steel halfway down page." That's what reading on the computer screen does to you.

Edited by djyee100 (log)