• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spain and Portugal Michelin Guide 2008

Lenski

Hola,

Surprised that this has not been discussed yet (I might have missed it),

but coinciding with "Lo mejor de la gastronomia en SS" the Michelin guide made yet another case of showing a biased restraint when it comes to giving stars to their Southern neighbors.

Get one Star:

Comerç 24 (Barcelona)

· Lluçanès (Barcelona)

· Els Casals (Sagàs)

· Massana (Girona)

· Yayo Daporta (Cambados)

· Kokotxa (San Sebastián)

· Kursaal (San Sebastián)

· Arrop (Gandía)

· Azurmendi (Vizcaya)

· El Club Allard (Madrid)

· Calima (Marbella)

· Retiroda Costiña (A Coruña)

· Villena (Segovia)

· El Molino de Urdaitz (Navarra)

· Ramiros (Valladolid)

Lose one Star:

· JeanLuc Figueras (Bcn)

· Carballeira (Lleida)

· Posada Real (Palencia)

· Aldebarán(Badajoz)

· KoldoRoyo (Mallorca)

· Gallery Paladares (Gijón)

· Casad'a Troya (Madrid)

· Mesana (Marbella)

· Chez Víctor (Salamanca)

· Lluçanès (Prats de Lluçanès)

And Abac gets two stars.

There is one interesting part in the article:

Benito negó rotundamente que París hubiera ordenado a Michelin España que puntuara a la baja con el objetivo de frenar el auge de una cocina, la española, que parece estar más en forma que la francesa. Además de la calidad del producto, de su relación con el precio y la irregularidad del servicio que tanto afectan a la alta cocina española, Benito habló también de la incapacidad que tienen algunos chefs estrellados para transmitir más carisma a sus platos.

I might agree with such an statement if he were referring to the older chefs but the young ones "transmit" plenty of charisma to their customers.

This is a continuing travesty. They should grade Spain the same way they grade other countries. Either Spain should be receiving more stars or other countries should be graded more harshly. I suspect one reason they don't worry to much about Spain is because Spain has its own competing Campsa Guide that is done along lines similar to Michelin.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I haven't comented it because there was no point. Giving credit to Michelin in Spain is not knowing the spanish gastronomy. They seem to have a different scale to measure the restaurants in every different country.

When will the Roca brothers get their third star? What about the second for Ca Sento? etc.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Agreed. However, the Michelin star can help a lot. I was talking to several industry people and chefs and they all agreed that this year they are experiencing a very slow end of year and and they are struggling since customers are very cautious given how expensive Spain is becoming.

About Celler, I think we all know that the move to their new space should translate into the deserved third star.

And, on another note, I recently visited Evo and Drolma, among many others, and we all thought that if these restaurants had been in Paris instead of Barcelona they would already have two (and maybe) three stars.

Edited by Lenski (log)

191 stars in Tokio? Wow.....

I agree about the prejudice.....but we all know about it and adjust accordingly. I have had some truly awful one-star meals in France..... but I am continually grateful that Michelin has not discovered Victor in Axpe. Yet.

Meanwhile....a star for Comerc24? Ridiculous. I will not belabor you again too much with my feelings about that dump: non-existent decor, awful condescending service and derivative badly prepared food. There are obviously politics south of the border as well.

I don't really buy into the whole Michelin thing at all, but it's at least worth mentioning that the stars are awarded to restaurants, not cities. The Tokyo awards may raise eyebrows elsewhere, but have you assessed the quality yourself?

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't comented it because there was no point. Giving credit to Michelin in Spain is not knowing the spanish gastronomy. They seem to have a different scale to measure the restaurants in every different country.

When will the Roca brothers get their third star? What about the second for Ca Sento? etc.

Regarding to El Celler de Can Roca, the tasting menu I had in 2005 was definitely 3 star caliber. But judging from my last two meals, including one this November before their move, I am not sure a third star is warranted.

• 1 month later...
Regarding to El Celler de Can Roca, the tasting menu I had in 2005 was definitely 3 star caliber. But judging from my last two meals, including one this November before their move, I am not sure a third star is warranted.
I am afraid I have to agree with you.

• 4 weeks later...