• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Related Video Games

GlorifiedRice

I was at Target today with my son, and of course when you are at Target or Walmart with a kid you must buy them something! (LOL)

So after steering him away from XBOX and Wii land, I got him over to the Magazines and thats near PC Software and I noticed all the new Cooking Games they had...

Titles like:

Chocolatier

Fast Food Tycoon

Burger Island

Roller Rush (Drive-In Eatery)

Diner Dash: Flo on the Go

Restaurant Tycoon

Restaurant Empire

Cake Mania I, II, and III

Diner Dash 2

Coffee Tycoon (Im sure Starbucks started this way!)

Coffee House Chaos

Do any of you buy these and try them out prior to getting a restaurant of your own?

Or are they just too campy?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Heh. I've played Chocolatier. It's your basic trading game: collect ingredients, make chocolate, sell for profit, find recipes to make fancier chocolates. I demo'd it at wildgames, but I have so many games that I didn't need another. I'm fairly sure several of those games follow the same trading model.

Another game that has a lot of food, but isn't about food is, of course, The Sims 2. There's a cooking skill that opens up more food options as the characters get better in them, starting from mac & cheese from a blue box up to lobster thermidor. One of the expansions added fishing and the ability to cook your fish and gardening, allowing you to make things with fresh produce. Also, addiitional meals are popular items for "modders" to create.

Edited by Allura (log)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got to 23 stars with one day left before the 30 min free trial was up.

You did good!! I had about the same I think..it ended too quickly to be sure..did he insult you at all? I screwed up on the 2nd day and he called me a donkey..still laughing. Do you think the game will be popular?

I got to 23 stars with one day left before the 30 min free trial was up.

You did good!! I had about the same I think..it ended too quickly to be sure..did he insult you at all? I screwed up on the 2nd day and he called me a donkey..still laughing. Do you think the game will be popular?

I could have played the whole thing if I had not read and printed the recipes for each day.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

• 5 months later...
In their usual inimitable style, PETA has created a parody of Cooking Mama. 

It's filled with all kinds of interesting information about how to cook a turkey.  For example, I did not know that eggs bleed.  (But in PETA's universe, everything bleeds!  Hooray!)

I played that the other and yes, I recall thinking WTH at the burst of blood from cracking eggs :huh:

PETA tsk tsk...they're good for a laugh.

Anyway, Jamie Oliver recently released a cooking game (obviously) on the DS. Haven't got around to playing it yet haha. Apparently, it contains real recipes.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

There's also a game called _Personal Trainer: Cooking_ for Nintendo DS that is basically a cookbook that gives you step by step instructions with audio (i.e. chop onions now, etc). It looks to me like it might be the beginning of a kind of lifestyle software. There's no contest going on or anything, you just pick the recipes and it tells you how to cook them.

I've never played around with it, but I think its an interesting idea. I'll stick to the books of course, but could you imagine an interactive Julia Child or Jacques Pepin game that guides you through their recipes using their own voice, chiding you for not using enough butter or capping off your interactive cooking session with "happy cooking!" That would be awesome to the max. Who knows what the future holds.

nunc est bibendum...

I like the games from Domino's Pizza Japan. One of them is a memory game involving toppings of their different pizzas. You get coupons with discounts based on your performance. It's actually kind of fun! (Plus their pizza is much better than Domino's in Canada!)

My husband got me a copy of Cooking Mama for DS in the hope that I'd get off the computer from time to time and play with that instead. Since it basically simulates work I have to do anyway, without the byproduct of edible food at the end, I don't find it very interesting. I like the part where you have to scale a fish, though, it makes a very satisfying noise.

• 7 months later...
My husband got me a copy of Cooking Mama for DS in the hope that I'd get off the computer from time to time and play with that instead. Since it basically simulates work I have to do anyway, without the byproduct of edible food at the end, I don't find it very interesting. I like the part where you have to scale a fish, though, it makes a very satisfying noise.

Ohhh I love Cooking Mama for DS. I wouldn't stop until I unlocked all the foods. It's so much fun but it makes me hungry all the time. Right now there is a restaurant game on Facebook and I'm addicted to it. I'm always checking on my restaurant. lol.

When I saw the title of this thread I was immediately dragged back to the early '80's (oh please no) and thought of BurgerTime. I didn't play it much then but these days I'd probably give it a whirl if I saw it leaning against a wall in a long lost nickel arcade.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

When I saw the title of this thread I was immediately dragged back to the early '80's (oh please no) and thought of BurgerTime. I didn't play it much then but these days I'd probably give it a whirl if I saw it leaning against a wall in a long lost nickel arcade.

I too thought of BurgerTime. I had the Intellivision version when I was a kid. It was my mother's favorite game, and the thought of my mother playing video games always cracks me up.

My favorite part (in the Wii version) is when you're making squid ink pasta and have to jack off a squid to get the ink.

• 3 months later...

Mrs. Meshugana is always playing the 'cafe' game on facebook. My three little helpers will cheer her on and come tell me excitedly when mom unlocks the new dishes...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 1 year later...