• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Our New Kitchen (Finally!)

CaliPoutine

. . .

The tv would go where the coffee maker is.  Obviously, I'd get a small lcd tv or flat screen.

Have you considered a ceiling-mounted platform for a TV? I have mine mounted high on the wall on a swivel platform so I can watch it from the kitchen or from our living room - we have an open concept layout. It saves on counter space!

Thats a thought. The kitchen is cut off from the living room so thats why I was considering a separate tv. Currently, I turn it up really loud so I can hear it when I'm cooking.

Randi, it's gorgeous. Just gorgeous. (Did you keep a wee little orangey patch for posterity, or do you think that it will be burned on your brain forever? :laugh: )

I have a TV in the kitchen, always. In this kitchen, I'll have a straight view to the one on the sitting room wall not too far away, which is how it usually went in the other houses. In this house, the kitchen was boxed in. (How else could I see my boyfriend, Peter Jennings, in the evenings, if I didn't have a TV in the kitchen? :rolleyes: )

I can't wait to see the backsplash. I love glass.

I'm also very impressed that you did this as fast as you did! I think you set a record.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

You might want to consider one of these little gems.

Having the DVD as part of it is handy for watching cooking demos too.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Randi, it's gorgeous.  Just gorgeous.  (Did you keep a wee little orangey patch for posterity, or do you think that it will be burned on your brain forever?  :laugh: )

I have a TV in the kitchen, always. In this kitchen, I'll have a straight view to the one on the sitting room wall not too far away, which is how it usually went in the other houses.  In this house, the kitchen was boxed in.  (How else could I see my boyfriend, Peter Jennings, in the evenings, if I didn't have a TV in the kitchen? :rolleyes: )

I'm also very impressed that you did this as fast as you did!  I think you set a record.

Thanks, I'm loving it so far.

I too am surprised at how fast it went. From teardown to functional kitchen was only about 3 weeks. Our KD gave us a temporary countertop( melamine) and sink until the granite was ready for installation. I couldnt imagine not being able to cook for 2 months!!

Love the kitchen! Especially love the floor to ceiling pantry. Who ever has enough storage?? I have a TV in my kitchen because I spend so much time in there. I also now have a laptop that I use to look up recipes and answer emails while I'm watching things simmering. Saves me a lot of time. Enjoy!

Great job, Randi, and thanks for showing us your beautiful new kitchen. I cannot believe how quickly you got everything done!

I am glad that you are enjoying your single bowl sink - I don't think that you will ever regret choosing it. Also I agree with you about the Gardenweb being a great resource for kitchen planning.

Regarding your refrigerator sticking out: the KD should have at least advised you about the option of choosing a counter depth fridge. Now, you might not have chosen one because they do have much less capacity than full size, but still, you should have been alerted to the issue. My .02.

I don't know if this is helpful or an option at this point, but I do know that some people have created a niche in the wall behind a regular fridge so that it can be positioned at counter depth. I imagine that whether you could do this would depend on what's in the wall behind the fridge in your house. And also whether you feel like dealing with anymore construction issues. Anyway, just an idea if this is something that really bugs you (and I can see where it would!).

I especially like your choice of cabinets and drawer pulls!

I don't know if this is helpful or an option at this point, but I do know that some people have created a niche in the wall behind a regular fridge so that it can be positioned at counter depth. I imagine that whether you could do this would depend on what's in the wall behind the fridge in your house. And also whether you feel like dealing with anymore construction issues. Anyway, just an idea if this is something that really bugs you (and I can see where it would!).

I've seen that on GW. Not an option for us though because right behind the fridge is the staircase down to the basement. If that wasnt there, we would have expanded the kitchen and opened it up so we could see into the living room/dining room.

Randi, it's gorgeous.  Just gorgeous.  (Did you keep a wee little orangey patch for posterity, or do you think that it will be burned on your brain forever?  :laugh: )

I have a TV in the kitchen, always. In this kitchen, I'll have a straight view to the one on the sitting room wall not too far away, which is how it usually went in the other houses.  In this house, the kitchen was boxed in.  (How else could I see my boyfriend, Peter Jennings, in the evenings, if I didn't have a TV in the kitchen? :rolleyes: )

I'm also very impressed that you did this as fast as you did!  I think you set a record.

Thanks, I'm loving it so far.

I too am surprised at how fast it went. From teardown to functional kitchen was only about 3 weeks. Our KD gave us a temporary countertop( melamine) and sink until the granite was ready for installation. I couldnt imagine not being able to cook for 2 months!!

(trying to stave off murderous jealous urges...) :biggrin:

3 WEEKS? Are you kidding me? Where did I go wrong?

It looks beautiful and I'm so happy for you.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

We used a high quality( made my stainmaster) vinyl flooring. It costs 5.50 square foot. We could have used laminate and it would have been half the cost, but I had concerns about water in the kitchen. I ruled out ceramic tile because I have a tendency to drop things. The vinyl flooring looks great, it actually looks like big ceramic tiles.

The KD designed the space and that was the extent of the help. He did actually suggest an edge for the granite, but I didnt like his suggestion. He also wanted to sell me a sink and faucet, but I did my research on GardenWeb and found a great company that does stainless sinks. I also found my faucet thru GW. The KD also tried to talk me into a double sink. The one thing I'm upset about is my fridge. The KD never told me to order a counter depth fridge, so my fridge sticks out a good 11". The sides are black too so I feel like it looks ridiculous. I'm sure most ppl don't notice it, but I hate it!!! If I would have found GW before everything was ordered, I would have avoided that. I probably wouldnt have went with a KD either.

3 weeks?! I'm agog! We were without functional kitchen for a full 3 months, and even then I had a working stove but no counter, and no working sink for a few weeks after that.

Congratulations! It's absolutely beautiful. I'm sure you must be loving it. (I'm in holiday work hell and don't get to my new kitchen nearly as much as I'd like lately, except to reheat leftovers or feed the cats).

We put a speaker in the ceiling in our kitchen that lets us pipe the tv or stereo in from the living room (no video, but I've never really liked a tv in the kitchen). I'm personally much more likely to have music on when I'm cooking, so that works for us.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

• 10 months later...

Just an update. Its been almost a year since construction started.

Today our GE Profile French Door fridge is being replaced(free of charge). We got a lemon!! Since last October, I've had repair people out here 8 times. We've also been reimbursed 100.00 on 2 separate occasions for lost groceries.

I hope this new one is better!!

Now that you've been in the kitchen a year, is there anything you'd do differently if you were starting over?

We're going to be building a house (if the economy in the US ever gets straightened out again) and I have lots of options for the kitchen. I'm always interested in hearing about things people have learned.

Now that you've been in the kitchen a year, is there anything you'd do differently if you were starting over?

We're going to be building a house (if the economy in the US ever gets straightened out again) and I have lots of options for the kitchen.  I'm always interested in hearing about things people have learned.

I still think the kitchen is somewhat small. I would have explored the option of blocking off the entrance to the basement( staircase right behind fridge) and opening up the kitchen into the dining room/living room.

My spouse thinks the pulldown( for sponges) by the sink is worthless. I also would have gotten a window that cranks open( casement?) instead of double hung. Its a pain to open.

I also would have explored a cabinet depth fridge. Although the new fridge that was delivered yesterday sticks out a whole lot less( it also has water in the door, the other one didnt).

we have 24.5 cft cabinet depth KA side by side that I hate. It looks nice alright but it's too small for larger serving dishes and fills up fast. Just too little fridge space.

I have a top freezer fridge in the garage to handle the over load.