• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eau de Vie

rlibkind

Anyone have a recommendation for a South Jersey (Cherry Hill or other area close to Center City Philadelphia) liquor store that carries any sort of interesting eau de vie selection beyond Slivowitz? Very little is available through the Pa LCB - even the special orders selection is thin.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I would check Roger Wilco in on Rte 73 in Pennsauken as well as Joe Canal's further down Rte 73 in Marlton. Another good store might be Corkscrewed, John McNulty's store on Rte 70 in Cherry Hill, near the D&Q Plaza.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Unfortunately, Corkscrewed is likely closed by now. They had a going-out-of-business sale on all inventory in September which brought some pretty good deals althought the pickings were a bit slim by the time I made it over there and can't imagine it would have taken much longer to completely sell out.

Thanks, everyone. Just got back from Cherry Hill and discovered (the hard way) that Corkscrewed was gone. Too bad: a few years back I picked up some nice French dessert wine there.

Over at Roger Wilco their selection was scattered at various spots throughout the store. Mostly grappa. I'll have to go back to try some of that cheap Macedonian wine!

Over at Joe Canal's all they had was the 750ml Schladerer pear brandy (with or without pear).

I would up purchasing a 375ml of Trimbach Framboise ($16.99) at Wine Legend on Rt. 70 (the former Buy Rite) and 375ml of Clear Creek Kirschwasser ($22.99) at Canal's Discount on Rt. 38 in Pennsauken.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Rlibkind:

At our house we have:

Quetsch (purple plum)

Framboise

Mirabelle (yellow plum)

Marc de Gewurtraminer

Poire-

and a few others...

including a tiny bottle of Sapin (pine tree).

We bring some back every time we go to France.

Guess you have to come over and taste sometime!

:smile:

Philly Francophiles

• 5 years later...

I recently had some excellent eaux de vie at Bistrot La Minette. I brought a great bottle of barrel-aged amarone grappa back from Italy, but it's long empty. Now I'm jonesing for more.

I want to bump this old thread, see if there's any new info. Where do people buy eaux de vie, marc, calvados, and grappa around Philly? Any new place open up lately? The PLCB website is horribly disorganized, so I'm not sure how to even find out what's available legally in-state.