• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blenders (Standard, not Immersion)

jturn00

Just purchased an Oster Fusion blender/ processor. It's got this feature where the blades reverse in a pre-programmed matter. I added quartered onions, no liquids and turned on the program. Cycling back and forth, soon I had onion slush. The Fusion has a 600 W motor and a 6 cup glass container.

Oster Fusion Website

Give it a look.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

If you're on a budget, there are plenty of used Hamilton Beach commercial bar mixers out there. They can be had for cheap, and are serious workhorses. I bought my first one after destroying three k-mart level blenders in one month. It had been replaced by a restaurant, presumed worn out, and left for consignment at a restaurant supply store for about $40. It lasted me 16 years.

When the bearings finally died (and they were on the verge of death when I bought the thing) I found a newer, more powerful motorbase on ebay for $7. I think this one will outlast me.

I have a small (about 1.5 quart) stainless carafe and a large (about 2.5 quart) glass carafe. The motor is heavy duty enough to run continuously while blending heavy mixtures without getting hot.

Only complaint is that it struggles to move stiff mixtures through the blades. Things like puréed celeriac and pesto and harissa often have to be thinned more than I'd like to get them moving. Maybe high end blenders like the Vita Mix are better in this regard. But as far as power and durability, I can't imagine needing anything more.

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 year later...
Vita-mix.  It's what you'll find in most professional kitchens.  But they are not cheap.  They will last a long time, though.  I just bought a used one on ebay for $220.  Depending on what you plan on doing with it, the vita-mix might be over-kill.  But it's definitely one of the best blenders (if not the best) around.

What is the best for soups? I prefer blender to cuisinart....... just got a new cuisinart from WS with the 3 bowls and was very disapointed on the way it pureed my carrot soup. My old cuisinart blender has just died. Help! Thanks!