• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stove Top Espresso Maker

HungryChris

We will be in the city next weekend and are in the market for a stovetop espresso maker. I have a gas range and am happy with the little 3 cupper I got on the internet because I can turn the flame down to just the right size. Deb, however has an electric range which quickly melted the handle off the one I got for her. I was thinking we could look around upstairs at Zabar, but wondered where else we could go in Manhattan for a variety to look at.

Thanks,

HC

Oren's (website), has a selection of stove top models, though from a cursory glance I don't know if they have any with metal handles.

Surprisingly, Whole Foods also has a pretty decent selection of moka makers.

Using an electric stove, I would say to just place the moka pot on the edge of the element, so that the handle is not directly over the heat. And the couple of pots I have with metal handles - watch out - those handles get really hot by the time the coffee is finished brewing.

Sur La Table has at least one that looks like it might work- click here. Their store is also pretty nice for browsing.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have no idea how or how well it works, but there's a press at the Bodum store on 14th St. that the company is marketing as an espresso maker. Just a thought. Of course, you can't look at a range of them there. Maybe you'll see it somewhere else.

[Edited to fix embarrassing grammatical error.]

Edited by SusanGiff (log)

We ended up getting the 4 cup version of the one in your Sur La Table link, weinoo, and what a beauty it is! We got it at Zabar and it came with a free lb of espresso, which was pretty nice. Our thanks to everyone for all the ideas!

HC