• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant.com for Las Vegas dining

I went to Restaurant.com and they have lots of great restaurant gift certificates for cheap (Rosemary's, Border Grill etc..) for Vegas and just wanted to know if anyone here had ever used them. They are BBB certified, but I hate to get burned.

Thanks!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Sorry, LoveToEatATL, I haven't used Restaurant.com. I just pay the Las Vegas price, to think I was a high-roller or something ...

I'd say give it a try. It's probably better than getting burned at the slot machines, blackjack tables, et al. ...

BTW Are you going to eat at Border Grill in Las Vegas? There is a Border Grill already in Santa Monica.

And if you do go to Rosemary's, go there on a Sunday night. Their wine list is half-price, if you're into wines.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Yes, I have used Restaurant.com a couple of times and had no problems. Read and understand the rules for each restaurant.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I've used them. You don't get burned. It works fine.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Sorry, LoveToEatATL, I haven't used Restaurant.com. I just pay the Las Vegas price, to think I was a high-roller or something ...

I'd say give it a try. It's probably better than getting burned at the slot machines, blackjack tables, et al. ... 

BTW Are you going to eat at Border Grill in Las Vegas? There is a Border Grill already in Santa Monica.

And if you do go to Rosemary's, go there on a Sunday night. Their wine list is half-price, if you're into wines.

I know about the SM Border Grill - I live right next door to it! :laugh:

Just wanted to give examples of the places that were on there.

I do believe we will do Sunday night there. We looooove wine and would love to eat at Rosemary's.

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Can you only use one denomination gift certificate at a time (ie. $25, $10 etc..)? Or can I buy like a $100 worth of coupons and use them all at one fell swoop?

No one?

Sure, I'll bite. No, you can't combine multiple certificates. You also can't use more than one certificate at an establishment per month. Read the fine print, and read it carefully.

I've used restaurant.com several times. They are (at least at this point) an honest business with an interesting business model. The certificates are real, and I've had not problem using the 8 or so that I've purchased. If you search around for coupons, you'll find that you can always get a 30-70% discount on the purchase price, such that a $25 off certificate costs $3-$7. Over the course of a month, the discounts get larger as the selection gets smaller. At the beginning of the month things reset.

It's worth understanding the their business model, both for its ingeniousness and to understand how you will be received as a customer. The establishment signs up with restaurant.com, who builds a mini web site on their behalf and advertises the establishment on their own web site. In return, restaurant.com is given the right to sell a certain number of gift certificates per month. The money from these certificates --- however much they sell for --- stays with restaurant.com and is never seen by the establishment.

The servers are generally happy, because printed on the top of certificate is a reminder to tip on the full amount of the bill. Generally, I'm guessing that certificate users tip pretty well, since they feel they are getting a bargain on the meal. The customer is happy because they are getting a bargain. But the restaurant management has mixed feelings, particularly if it's clear that you are there merely for a only single visit to take the most advantage of the certificate as possible. They are hoping to turn you into a repeat full-paying customer.

Hope this helps.