• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why did my rolls taste "floury"

onrushpam

I used my sister's very tried-and-true recipe for fluffy dinner rolls. I've had hers a bazillion times and they are always perfect. I've made them myself before and they've always been good. It's just a basic white bread recipe, using vegetable shortening for the fat, no milk or eggs and only a little sugar.

I don't know what kind of flour I used. Our house sitter replenished my supply while we were away last weekend. I asked her what kind of flour she bought and she said just regular AP flour. (She works at Publix and I'd guess it's their store brand.) I typically use King Arthur unbleached AP flour in these rolls.

The dough was beautiful. The only slightly odd thing was that it rose more quickly than I expected. I chalked this up to the fact it was very warm in my kitchen. (I used regular dry yeast, not the Rapid Rise kind.)

The rolls looked gorgeous! The texture was nice, very light and fluffy. But, they tasted like raw flour!

Any ideas why this would be?

The rolls looked gorgeous!  The texture was nice, very light and fluffy.  But, they tasted like raw flour!

Any ideas why this would be?

I suspect she bought self-rising flour possibly on accident or she doesn' t know the difference. That might account for the 'rapid rise' without using rapid rise yeast from the baking powder, salt etc already infused in the flour.

I don't think it's self-rising. She's an experienced cook and she made cookies with the same flour. They turned out okay.

It's odd... I just ate one of the left over rolls. It didn't have the characteristic "yeasty" flavor I expect from this recipe.

Still, I think I'll pitch the rest of the flour...

I would toss the flour too. I've had off-tasting flour and couldn't figure out why. Had more of a starchy-pasty flavor than flour-ey. Once I splurged on an expensive brand and didn't like it. I think it was half flour and half rye or some combo.

The mystery has been solved. It's White Lilly Flour. Friend/housesitter bought it because she knows that's what I often use. What she didn't know is that I never use it for yeast bread. Everybody else thought the rolls were fine, but I knew they weren't quite right.