• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forgetting to serve one thing

Fat Guy

my husband & i fought for weeks over who would get which cavity for their stuffing (neck or other end). of course i won & got the big cavity. well, we both had stuffing left over & put the extra into casserole dishes. well, after dinner i commented that all my stuffing was gone and he just nodded and said it went over well...

the next morning, i found the casserole w/ MY stuffing still in the oven. dead. :angry:

Edited by dvs (log)

This seems to happen almost every time I have people over for dinner. At this year's Thanksgiving I forgot to serve my signature peas and parmigiano.

Can you share details on this dish? It sounds like a more interesting option than my tact of adding sauteed mushrooms to the peas... Thanks in advance!

(sorry you forgot to serve the dish!)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've done it lots of times, usually because there is enough food and we don't miss it. Though I have to say nobody would forget cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving if I were there! As for forgtting an ingredient - my favorite one is to seal up the apple pie and then remember that I didn't put the butter in. How many times have I tried to slip it in through the slits in the top crust without messing it up...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I just did this.

I made a new recipe which I'd seen on the Great British Menu series on BBC. It was a beef and Guinness stew, but with ginger and soy sauce added. VERY nice.

Anyway. I made a special trip to the butcher for the beef, and the supermarket for everything else. I wanted it to be perfect, as it was for the in-laws. :raz: The item which I made the biggest deal out of purchasing was the little box of mushrooms. I'm not a mushroom fan, though I don't hate them as much as most people who know me think. I knew they were an important part of the dish, and I figured I'd just slice them up finely so I wouldn't be squicked out by the texture (the source of my dislike for them, really) and no problem.

I made the stew. It was *amazing*. Compliments abounded. As we all sat at the table, finished and contemplating the iron pot with the leftover stew, I realized that the stupid box of mushrooms was still sitting in the fridge. :rolleyes: The recipe called for them to be added towards the end of the cooking, and I'd just forgotten in all of the hubbub of having the in-laws over.

Freudian, I'm sure. Thankfully, my husband likes the things, and he did something with them the next day. And I now know that the stew is just lovely without them, and won't be bothering to make the special purchase next time!

Edited by cakewench (log)

The rolls.  We always forget the rolls.  The pity is, we made them from scratch this year and stillforgot them.

My grandmother was famous for forgetting the rolls. We'd be halfway through Sunday dinner when she remembered them. Sometimes she forgot other things, but it was usually the rolls. It was a longstanding family joke, invoked whenever anyone else in the family would make a meal and forget something :laugh: .

I generally don't forget major components of the meal, but in the rush of cooking several dishes at once, I'll forget to add ingredients that go in near the end.

One of the things that helps me is to get out all of the necessary serving dishes the day before and put little scraps of paper in them identifying what should go into the dishes. Now, this is only as good as remembering to set all of the dishes out in advance.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

This doesn't quite fit the question exactly, but . . . I once drove 25 km to work with an apple danish on my roof. I had forgotten all about it until getting back in the car to go home 8 hours later.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Making lists has already been mentioned. We print out a copy of the menu and put it on the refridgerator and use it. Without the list things just get missed.

By the way, I use lists for everything. I can't go to the store to pick up 3 things without a list. My sweet wife began having grand mahl seizures 8 years ago. They are under control with medication but the seizuers affected her short-term memory permanently. We can have a conversation, make a decision about something, then 2 days later she asks me if we are going to do such-and-such or not, having no memory of the converstation. Shopping lists are now VERY important for her.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

How did you know?  Just happened again this thanksgiving.  The cranberry relish got left in the fridge.  Yes, we looked right at it and left it alone.  Yes, we had a menu written out. Yes, Yes, Yes.  Anyway, the relish is great with the leftovers.

Bon Appetit,

Jmahl

In our house, the phrase "Cranberry Sauce" means "Sh*t - I forgot to serve the ________". The reason for this is that my mother routinely would leave the can of cranberry sauce in the fridge on Thanksgiving and forget to serve it.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food