• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kips Bay restaurant

SusanGiff

My husband is trying to remember the name and location of an old restaurant on a side street in the lower 30s/upper 20s, near the entrance to the Midtown Tunnel. It was in the basement of a townhouse and, he seems to recall, very pretty and homey--American food, or possibly Italian. I'm drawing a blank on everything other than a dim memory that such a place existed. Can anyone help? Is it still around?

I haven't been there for several years, but my family has dined there for over 20 years and marveled that the service and quality of food remained constant. The lasagna course is one of my favorites along with the plate piled high with crostini for dessert. The warm lemon fritter for dessert is also really, really good.

It's a great place to go with a large group because all you need to order are beverages. There is a fish, chicken and then veal or beef course in addition to a nice antipasto and wonderful dessert. You can enjoy your company and relax as the meal is expertly served. It was always good, fresh food, well prepared and professionally served.

KathyM

the cynic in me says that a kitchen damn well better be able to serve the exact same five dishes competently over a 30 year period.

I fail to see how that's an accomplishment.  you could teach monkeys to do that.

It is an accomplishment to maintain the level of service and quality of food for that many years. How many restaurants fail to deliver in those categories? True, it is the same menu every day, but each time we ate there we still came away thinking how good it all was. What's wrong with that?

KathyM

if I cooked the same five dishes day in and day out for 30 years they'd be really good too. and I'd teach the cleaning lady how to make them...really well.

sounds like a robotic assembly line. worth a meal, sure. an accomplishment? not in the slightest.

edit: one reason that other restaurants sometimes fail to deliver is maybe that they are 10000000000000000000000000000000000% more ambitious? more than five dishes? a changing menu?

Edited by Nathan (log)

the cynic in me says that a kitchen damn well better be able to serve the exact same five dishes competently over a 30 year period.

I fail to see how that's an accomplishment.  you could teach monkeys to do that.

Nathan - there's a cynic in you?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You did it! It's Marchi's! Thank you! Anyone been? It looks pretty cool, and I love the idea of no menu. Marchi's

Thanks again. If we go, I'll report back.

I've been several times, but none in the last 20 years! It was always good, dependable home-style Italian fare. Not ambitious in the least, but satisfying in that way that recalls old fashioned family meals. They make way more than 5 dishes, although they present them in five waves/courses. If you're looking for cutting edge or refined cuisine, look elsewhere, but if you want what they offer, you'll get lots of it...