• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi etiquette

gfweb

Another etiquette question:

When you sit down at the sushi bar and the sushi chef starts serving you, what is the proper way to extract yourself from that sushi chef and request the sushi skills of another sushi chef?

The last couple of times I've gone to sit in front of the sushi bar, it seems I've gotten stuck with the B team, or in my last visit, with the C team.

Is there a certain position or seat to sit at where you'll be assured of being served by the head sushi guy?

Another etiquette question:

When you go sit at the sushi bar and the prices listed on the wall are market prices, what's the proper way to find out how much those items are that day? Or, are you supposed to take a blind leap and hope it doesn't end up costing more than you'd have wanted to pay?

Well, there can be no proper way. Some people are blunt while others are more tactful. For example, the latter people may start asking what are in season.

After you ask what's in season, what else do you say? I tried asking what was in season, and the sushi guy started reeling off what was listed on the board which really wasn't much help.

Sorry, I really can't answer your first question.

For one thing, I don't know of such a big sushi shop in Japan where there are groups of sushi chefs working behind the counter. For another, it would be insulting to the chef and to the head chef as well if you made such a request. The head chef is responsible for everything in the sushi shop, including the skills of his subordinate(s).

I have no idea how sushi bars in the United States are operated, so I'm not qualified to answer your question. Anyone?

That previous answer of mine was a hypothetical one because I have never been to a sushi shop where there are "jika" (market price) tags hanging on the wall. Even if I visited such a sushi shop, I would not order something labled as "jika".

As I mentioned previously, you can simply ask what the price of a particular "jika" neta (topping) is (which isn't offensive to the chef at all), or you can enjoy a little conversation with the chef before asking the price by saying things like:

When is tuna in season?

Is it expensive around this time of year?

(Then you may want to ask, "So, how much is it today?")

Maybe someone else can come up with more appropriate sentences.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Once you're seated, it would be insulting to ask for a change. However, when reserving you can certainly request sushi chef number 1. Even if the place doesn't really take reservations, calling ahead to request a spot with sushi chef number 1 is the way to go. This assumes you know the chef's name so you can say, for example, "Two at the sushi bar with Hideo-san, please." Otherwise, go at a slow time and request the chef (usually the one nearest the entrance is the most senior) before you're seated.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 weeks later...

In restaurants, its acceptable to return something to the kitchen if you're not happy with it.

But, is that acceptable at a sushi bar?

Sometimes, I've spent almost a hundred dollars for an omakase meal yet been given fish that I would have rejected at a grocery store. If we were talking about a inexpensive sushi joint, it would be understandable if the quality wasn't up to snuff.

Also, when requesting an omakase meal, do you specify how much you are willing to spend?

For one thing, I don't know of such a big sushi shop in Japan where there are groups of sushi chefs working behind the counter.  For another, it would be insulting to the chef and to the head chef as well if you made such a request.  The head chef is responsible for everything in the sushi shop, including the skills of his subordinate(s).

I have no idea how sushi bars in the United States are operated, so I'm not qualified to answer your question.  Anyone?

Are the standards for apprenticeship for sushi chefs in Japan as exacting as they were before? Do apprentices still need to wait several years before they can even touch the fish?

That previous answer of mine was a hypothetical one because I have never been to a sushi shop where there are "jika" (market price) tags hanging on the wall.  Even if I visited such a sushi shop, I would not order something labled as "jika".

Why don't you oder something labeled 'jika'?

When is tuna in season?

Is it expensive around this time of year?

(Then you may want to ask, "So, how much is it today?")

This question made me realize that despite how big the whole seasonal thing has become in today's western kitchens, most american diners don't even consider that when they go out to eat sushi. When I tried to google it up, I had trobule finding a website that talked about which sushi would be in season during the year.

In restaurants, its acceptable to return something to the kitchen if you're not happy with it.

But, is that acceptable at a sushi bar?

I don't think so, not only at a sushi shop in Japan but at other types of restaurants in Japan, unless you find a cockroach or something in your meal. Members in the United States may want to talk about how things are at sushi bars in the United States.

Also, when requesting an omakase meal, do you specify how much you are willing to spend?

We do. That's very common, unless you go to such high-end sushi shops like Sukiyabashi Jiro.

Are the standards for apprenticeship for sushi chefs in Japan as exacting as they were before? Do apprentices still need to wait several years before they can even touch the fish?

I'm not sure but I think there are still some young people wanting to enter the sushi world at the age of 18 after graduating from senior high school (or even at the age of 15 after graduating from junior high), but I'm sure that nowadays, much more people want to go to sushi school, where they can learn about sushi more systematically.

Why don't you oder something labeled 'jika'?

I simply don't want to. It's like a little protest against those stubborn sushi chefs who do not want to indicate the prices of neta (toppings) on each business day. Those sushi chefs may want to talk about all sorts of reasons why they don't do so, but none of them are convincing enough for me.

This question made me realize that despite how big the whole seasonal thing has become in today's western kitchens, most american diners don't even consider that when they go out to eat sushi. When I tried to google it up, I had trobule finding a website that talked about which sushi would be in season during the year.

I found one site that tells you when each fish is in season.

• 1 month later...

This is something that's been bugging me for a while: when you buy plastic packs of sushi at the supermarket, they give you little packs of soy sauce, right? If I take it home, of course I put it in a little dish for dipping. But more often, I'm taking the pack back to my office for lunch. How am I supposed to apply the soy sauce? The package has no convenient well to empty it into, so I mostly just try to sprinkle it delicately and evenly over the pieces.

Is there a better way?

Yours is a good way. You can apply the soy sauce to the neta very easily that way. I sometimes employs your method even when I'm home. Another way is to use a corner of the lid of the box that contains the sushi. I wonder if your post has something to do with etiquette. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

New topic for this thread: Chirashi. I recently enjoyed a delicious Chirashi lunch at Pacific East, near Cleveland Ohio:

gallery_21337_6548_92454.jpg

Underneath those beautiful strips of fish was a ball of rice.

What is the proper way to eat this? The fish slices seemed larger than they would be on nigiri - too large to eat daintily in one bite. And do you put rice on the fish, or eat the fish like Sashimi and then take some rice? How are chopsticks to be used? I felt silly that I knew how to eat everything else on the menu except this!

Thank you EGers for filling in the gaps in my knowledge!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

What is the proper way to eat this? The fish slices seemed larger than they would be on nigiri - too large to eat daintily in one bite. And do you put rice on the fish, or eat the fish like Sashimi and then take some rice? How are chopsticks to be used? I felt silly that I knew how to eat everything else on the menu except this!

Thanks for posting an innovative presentation of chirashi. I've never seen chirashi presented this way (a ball of rice topped with slices of raw fish).

There are basically two types of chirashi: 1) vinegared rice topped with slices of raw fish and other ingredients and 2) vinegared rice topped or mixed with small, finely cut ingredients, also called bara chirashi.

And, there are a lot of variations of chirashi.

Images of chirashi

As you can see, slices of raw fish are not the only ingredients of chirashi.

Again, I can only speak of preferred ways to eat chirashi rather than etiquette.

For the former type, many people, including me, pick one slice of raw fish, dip it in the soy sauce (with wasabi mixed in*), put it in their mouth, and have a mouthful of rice. Some people prefer pouring soy sauce (with wasabi mixed in) over the fish before starting to eat.

*Some people prefer putting some wasabi on top of a slice of fish and dipping the slice in soy sauce (with no wasabi in it).

For the latter, soy sauce is usually not necessary because the ingredients are usually pre-seasoned.

How are chopsticks to be used? Just a usual way.