• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi etiquette

gfweb

about ginger: When I was learning about Japanese food someone told me that pink ginger is not natural and to avoid it. But real pickled ginger turns pink naturally from some sort of chemical reaction with the vinegar. My favorite ginger is actually not pink for some reason. The sushi restaurant that serves it buys it from a pickle shop that supplies some of the best sushi restaurants in osaka. It is very delicate, not very spicy or sour, to me it almost tastes like vanilla sugar.

In my experience it is usually used as a palate cleanser. When I order in a sushi bar I ask the chef to make me "some" sushi. It comes one item at a time and there is usually some time in between items if the restaurant is busy so I munch on the ginger.

I have one question for all of you. We're all talking about the pile of wasabi that accompany our plates. What about the pile of ginger? I never touch the ginger. When I first started eating sushi I always added my wasabi and then a slice of ginger on top. After I learned that this was bad practice I stopped. I realized it was to cleanse your palate between courses and not used as a condiment. Do you use the ginger? If so, between every piece or only if it is a different protein component?

The ginger is just to clean your palette. If you are going from a nice fatty piece of otoro or sabal back to something more delicate like fluke fin (Engawa), you need the ginger or you will not really taste more delicate fish. Also a good sushi chef will have already added what he think is the appropriate amount of wasabi to your sushi between the rice and the fish. Adding more wasabi, even if it is on the plate, would probably insult someone like Yasuda-san.

BTW, I have only rarely seen Engawa listed on sushi menus, it is one of those things you have to ask for, since there are only 2 cuts per fish. (Engawa refers to the thin muscle of the dorsal fin which is located on the side of the Halibut. This part of the halibut is very developed compared to the rest of the body and unlike the regular flesh of the halibut, it has a higher fat content which makes it a delicacy. It is very soft and chewy and more concentrated in flavor.")

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I am another for whom keisan sounds weird. I would use it in a hospital when paying my bill but not in a restaurant.

I actually avoid saying anything if possible as I have a strange problem with the word kanjo also. In about 90% of restaurants I go to the bill is placed on the table so I don't need to say anything, 8% of the time I am with someone else who can ask for the bill and the last 2% I would be in a very small family run type place and I would say "gochisousamadeshita" as I walk to the register and the person would meet me there and ring me up.

My problem with kanjo is that I am absolutely terrified I am going to walk to the register and mistakenly say kanchou instead.  :sad: Kanchou, in general, means enema but it is also associated with a wedgie like prank. (for anyone who really wants to know more)

There are certain Japanese similar sounding words that I really have problems with, the other main one being mantan and manten. Mantan is how you ask the gas station attendant to fill up the car. Manten is a harmless word with a couple meanings (depending on the characters) like, 100 points or a perfect score like on a test and the whole sky. Whenever I pull into a gas station I repeat over and over to myself "mantan, mantan, mantan" but every now and then manten slips out. In this case I would just correct myself and no one would thing anything of it but in the case of kanjo and kanchou I would die of embarrassment.

I've accidentally asked the sushi chef for inu instead of uni.

I picked up Keisan in okinawa so maybe that's why. More of a dialect thing. Oh well.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I'm always amazed when I see people drown their sushi/sashimi with a pile of wasabi. How can they taste the fish? It makes me wonder if people actually enjoy the delicate taste of the fish or just that they think eating sushi is trendy. It wouldn't surprise me if one reason sushi restaurants are so crowded is that, especially in the metro NY area, sushi is the "trendy" thing to eat. I see and know many people who still won't go beyond ordering california rolls and salmon or tuna sushi. There is so much more to explore, yet some people still can't get past the basic types. Of course there are plenty of people who are serious about their sushi, especially on eGullet, but I still wonder about people who LOVE sushi and only eat varieties that are most common to American culture.

I have always read/heard that the "proper" way to eat sushi is using your fingers and slightly dipping in soy sauce protein down. Sashimi is always eaten with chopsticks and a little wasabi, if preferred, and a little dip in soy sauce. The books, articles, and posts I have read seem to suggest that this is the "correct" way.

I have one question for all of you. We're all talking about the pile of wasabi that accompany our plates. What about the pile of ginger? I never touch the ginger. When I first started eating sushi I always added my wasabi and then a slice of ginger on top. After I learned that this was bad practice I stopped. I realized it was to cleanse your palate between courses and not used as a condiment. Do you use the ginger? If so, between every piece or only if it is a different protein component?

I enjoy requesting "Sunomono" and seeing what I get. The best was cucumber and octopus so far.

about ginger: When I was learning about Japanese food someone told me that pink ginger is not natural and to avoid it. But real pickled ginger turns pink naturally from some sort of chemical reaction with the vinegar. My favorite ginger is actually not pink for some reason. The sushi restaurant that serves it buys it from a pickle shop that supplies some of the best sushi restaurants in osaka. It is very delicate, not very spicy or sour, to me it almost tastes like vanilla sugar.

In my experience it is usually used as a palate cleanser. When I order in a sushi bar I ask the chef to make me "some" sushi. It comes one item at a time and there is usually some time in between items if the restaurant is busy so I munch on the ginger.

Only shin-shoga (freshly harvested ginger) turns pink when pickled.

Like John and other members mentioned, pickled ginger (gari) is usually eaten to reset your taste buds.

In conveyor sushi restaurants, where containers of gari are placed at the counter and you can have as much of it as you want, I tend to have a lot of gari.

I've heard so many of the myths, and many of the truths.

"Don't do that -- you'll offend the sushi chef" or "Don't put your chopsticks there, it means . . ." or any of the other do's and dont's. After hearing so many of these claims, I started to ask.

I want to learn the right way and wrong way -- although it's food, how wrong could you get? LOL. The learning curve on something like this could be a lot of fun.

On one hand, I don't want to offend anyone. On the other hand, I want to enjoy my food.

Eric

I'd like to stress that all those stories about offending sushi chefs and customers around you are very often exaggerated, and I'd like to encourage everyone to enjoy having sushi the way they want.

• 5 months later...

I know you're supposed to use your hands for nigri sushi and chopsticks for sashimi, but what about battleship sushi, the ones with nori wrapped around the rice and something like fish roe on top? Do you use your hands or chopsticks for that?

With regards to soy sauce, are you supposed to use more or less for fattier cuts like tuna?

And, are you supposed to burp outloud to show your appreciation for the meal?

I know you're supposed to use your hands for nigri sushi and chopsticks for sashimi, but what about battleship sushi, the ones with nori wrapped around the rice and something like fish roe on top? Do you use your hands or chopsticks for that?

With regards to soy sauce, are you supposed to use more or less for fattier cuts like tuna?

FIRST OF ALL, I'D LIKE TO STRESS THAT THERE IS NO CONSENSUS IN JAPAN AS TO THE PROPER WAY TO EAT SUSHI.

It's up to you whether to use your hands or chopsticks to have nigiri. I personally prefer using chopsticks so I don't have to clean my hands with a wet towel (oshibori) frequently.

Batteleships (gunkan in Japanese) can be eaten in various ways, including:

1. Dip the rice at the bottom in soy sauce.

2. Tilt the gunkan to one side a little, and dip the nori in soy sauce.

3. Pick up some gari (pickled ginger), dip it in soy sauce, and pat the gari on the top of the neta (topping) to apply the sauce sauce.

4. Simply eat the gunkan, with no soy sauce.

I personally have gunkan in way 1.

Note that at some sushi shops, gunkan and nigiri are pre-seasoned by the sushi chef so you don't apply any more soy sauce.

I can't answer your second question. I think it's better to use soy sauce sparingly for any type of neta.

As for your last question, is it a joke or something? Maybe the Japanese are more lenient to burping in public than other nations, but we never burp to show appreciation!

FIRST OF ALL, I'D LIKE TO STRESS THAT THERE IS NO CONSENSUS IN JAPAN AS TO THE PROPER WAY TO EAT SUSHI.

It's up to you whether to use your hands or chopsticks to have nigiri. I personally prefer using chopsticks so I don't have to clean my hands with a wet towel (oshibori) frequently.

Batteleships (gunkan in Japanese) can be eaten in various ways, including:

1. Dip the rice at the bottom in soy sauce.

2. Tilt the gunkan to one side a little, and dip the nori in soy sauce.

3. Pick up some gari (pickled ginger), dip it in soy sauce, and pat the gari on the top of the neta (topping) to apply the sauce sauce.

4. Simply eat the gunkan, with no soy sauce.

I personally have gunkan in way 1.

Note that at some sushi shops, gunkan and nigiri are pre-seasoned by the sushi chef so you don't apply any more soy sauce.

I can't answer your second question. I think it's better to use soy sauce sparingly for any type of neta.

As for your last question, is it a joke or something? Maybe the Japanese are more lenient to burping in public than other nations, but we never burp to show appreciation!

The burping is a common misconception for a lot of Americans. I think I saw it portrayed on "The Brady Bunch". There are some table manners in China that I know are taboo here, such as slurping soup and placing bones on the tablecloth.

As far as chopsticks, I have always been told to not stick chopsticks standing upright into a plate or bowl of food as this is how it is served to the deceased in the Shinto religion and is considered disrespectful otherwise.

As far as eating Sushi/sashimi this thread has definately altered my method. I've always used Gari to cleanse the palate, but I no longer add wasabi to soy sauce and only very lightly dip anything if at all before eating. I also find my self trying to discern the various distinguishments in the flavors and mouth feel more.

There is also another thread around here somewhere in regards to the freshness of fish, sushi grade, and other common misgnomers that has had an effect on where I get my sushi, I've decided that "all you can eat" buffets for the most part are just grindng out different things but most of it seems to taste the same. Which is ok if you are going to dip it completely into a bowl of Soy mixed with a large glob of wasabi into a slurry.

I do have a question about Nigiri Sushi, it is often served in pairs and sometimes can be quite large, are you supposed to just stuff the whole thing in your mouth, or is it ok to eat it in two bites. Also, how do you prevent the second bite from falling apart as you are dipping it in soy?

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)

I do have a question about Nigiri Sushi, it is often served in pairs and sometimes can be quite large, are you supposed to just stuff the whole thing in your mouth, or is it ok to eat it in two bites. Also, how do you prevent the second bite from falling apart as you are dipping it in soy?

I have often wondered this exact same thing. Are there any general guidelines about this?

I have often wondered this exact same thing. Are there any general guidelines about this?

If you turn the nigiri over and lightly dip the fish side into the soy sauce, then it should be less likely to fall apart. You shouldn't dip the rice at all, though YMMV.

If they are huge, it's better to bite in two than to choke on it....

Contemporary nigiri is meant to be eaten in one bite. If you sit at the counter, ask the chef to make smaller pieces or cut each piece in two. A kind chef will gladly accommodate your request.

If you sit at a table (or you go to a conveyor sushi restaurant), just eat each piece in two or more bites. I don't think you need to apply soy sauce for second and subsequent bites.

If you want to avoid having a pair of nigiri with the same toppings, you need to specify how many pieces you want, as I described here.

Avoid the use of the counter "kan" because this word is very confusing. Some Japanese take it to mean two pieces while others take it to mean one piece.

Ok.... I've got one.....

When eating Ebi, where is the correct place to discard of the tail, onto your platter or onto the side of your soy plate?

There are no absolutely correct manners associated with this. Probably most people, including me, place the tail on the wooden tray, plate, or bamboo leaf on which the sushi was placed. The chef will replace the wooden tray, etc. with a new one.

Ok.... I've got one.....

When eating Ebi, where is the correct place to discard of the tail, onto your platter or onto the side of your soy plate?

There are no absolutely correct manners associated with this. Probably most people, including me, place the tail on the wooden tray, plate, or bamboo leaf on which the sushi was placed. The chef will replace the wooden tray, etc. with a new one.

Is it OK to eat it? I noticed Japanese people don't usually eat any part of a shrimp shell except the head (in tempura, especially). I often eat that part (I'm intentially refraining from writing that I "eat t***"), and I sometimes wonder if Japanese people think I'm weird.

Ok.... I've got one.....

Is it OK to eat it? I noticed Japanese people don't usually eat any part of a shrimp shell except the head (in tempura, especially). I often eat that part (I'm intentially refraining from writing that I "eat t***"), and I sometimes wonder if Japanese people think I'm weird.

I eat it too if it is crispy...

It's not unusual to eat the tail if it's from a tempura'ed or deep-fried shrimp, as you can tell from here (Japanese only).

Some people eat the tail of a raw shrimp, but I think the percentage of such people is very low, as you can tell from here (Japanese only).

As for me, I sometimes eat the tail of a termpura'ed or deep-fried shrimp, but I don't eat the tail of a raw shrimp.

It's up to you whether to use your hands or chopsticks to have nigiri.  I personally prefer using chopsticks so I don't have to clean my hands with a wet towel (oshibori) frequently.

The proper and correct way to eat sushi is with your hands and to use your chopsticks for sashimi. Steve himself has said this, and he's a writing a book about asian dining.

Sushi is really about the rice, not the fish. And, the sushi master is trying to mold the sushi for this optimum mixture of rice and air so that it falls apart in your mouth. But, if you use chopsticks, then the sushi master must clump it harder so that it won't fall apart when you pick up with your chopsticks.

The way I see it, I'm already behind the eight ball as the sushi chef views me as just another gaijin. If I use chopsticks for sushi, then I'm singalling to him that I don't know anything about sushi and thus am unlikely to appreciate his craft. Its kind of like ordering spicy tuna. As such, a sushi master isn't going to give the best cuts to a gaijin who's using chopsticks and ordering spicy tuna.

Edited by mcohen (log)

Another etiquette question:

When you go sit at the sushi bar and the prices listed on the wall are market prices, what's the proper way to find out how much those items are that day? Or, are you supposed to take a blind leap and hope it doesn't end up costing more than you'd have wanted to pay?

It's up to you whether to use your hands or chopsticks to have nigiri.  I personally prefer using chopsticks so I don't have to clean my hands with a wet towel (oshibori) frequently.

The proper and correct way to eat sushi is with your hands and to use your chopsticks for sashimi. Steve himself has said this, and he's a writing a book about asian dining.

Sushi is really about the rice, not the fish. And, the sushi master is trying to mold the sushi for this optimum mixture of rice and air so that it falls apart in your mouth. But, if you use chopsticks, then the sushi master must clump it harder so that it won't fall apart when you pick up with your chopsticks.

The way I see it, I'm already behind the eight ball as the sushi chef views me as just another gaijin. If I use chopsticks for sushi, then I'm singalling to him that I don't know anything about sushi and thus am unlikely to appreciate his craft. Its kind of like ordering spicy tuna. As such, a sushi master isn't going to give the best cuts to a gaijin who's using chopsticks and ordering spicy tuna.

Well, I encourage you to visit Japan to determine what you have written above is true.