• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Toronto Restaurant?

battleofthebulge

OK we have one available slot to take parents-in-law to dinner when we're in TO for Christmas. Currently Starfish is favourite, but we've been there before and we like trying new places.

Last time's blow-out was Perigee but by the end of course 7, when everyone had each of the four different dishes per course described to them, plus the wines, we all wanted rather more eating and relaxing and a lot less pfaff. So, nowhere pfaff-y. We like Crush, and JKWB (going there the following night). Also, the buck is now much stronger against sterling so we won't be throwing money around.

Any ideas for a place that has excellent wines, very good food, nice people, and doesn't take itself too seriously?

Sarah

Sarah

What about Cowbell?

Someone else would be better qualified than I to say whether the wine list is excellent or not, but it certainly has everything else you've listed.

1564 Queen West

416-849-1095

(Edited to apologize for the double post. Cold, yucky morning = clumsy fingers.)

Edited by SarahB (log)

... first time I've heard of a Cote du Rhone selected by someone called Kermit!

As in "Kermit Lynch"?

If so, pretty good indication of a good recommendation.

Err no - Kermit Lunch!! :laugh:

2005 Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Sélectionnée par Kermit Lunch, Rhône, France $55

Presume that's a typo!

Sarah

Cowbell didn't impress me. IIRC maybe 20 wines on their list (and only 1 red and 1 white by the glass) and the food was competent but ordinary. Service was VERY casual. My summary was a good neighbourhood place.

As an alternative, consider Globe Bistro. A bit more upscale and an extensive wine list with prices reasonable by Toronto standards (most less than double retail). I've just realized (not intended) that the chef at Cowbell left Globe 'suddenly' within a month of opening. Globe has local ingredients (where it makes sense) and consistently comes in around $200 for two (all-in) as long as you don't go too crazy with the wines.

If you liked JKWB then Thuet was one I tried last time and enjoyed immensely. Again a bistro style with a more classic starter/main menu. Good cooking and wine list.

We will be there over new year and just trying to figure out where I want to try this time (post coming soon no doubt).