• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago and Green Bay cheap eats

tofino

Hello all, I am making the pilgrimage to Lambeau for my first game ,the December 9th game in Green Bay against the Raiders (coincidentally my birthday - yahoo). We will be in Chicago for the 5th through 7th staying downtown at Rafaello (spelling?) then heading to Green Bay on the 8th staying at some Irish B&B/Pub(?) for the 8th and 9th then back to Chicago for the night of the 10th before returning back to the Rocky Mountains of Alberta - my wife and I manage a 9 room backcountry Lodge at 6200 feet. Having said that this trip has cost us a bit of money between airfare, hotels, rental car and of course the tickets - but hey - as a fan since 81 and it being my birthday - I of course deserve it - haha, thats what I keep telling my wife! We both love all kinds of foods, and are looking for neat little spots with killer food (I know all feeds of Green Bay here have not been too endearing, but is there anything other than Krolls?). Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated - we are ready for the cold - hey, we live in the Rockies! Thanks!

IMHO the one "must have" food in Chicago, which also falls into the "cheap eats" category, is our famous Chicago-style deep-dish pizza. There are two main styles: the single-crust "pan" pizza served at Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, Pizano's, and Due and Uno's (original location ONLY, please!), and the double-crust "stuffed" pizza served at Giordano's, Bacino's, and Edwardo's. The locations closest to the Raffaello are Gino's East on Superior for pan pizza, and Giordano's on Rush for stuffed pizza. With the one exception noted, these chains serve consistent quality across all their locations and have some of the very best pizza in town. People here argue which is the best, but I love all of them and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They all have websites where you can check out their menu; phone ahead with your order to avoid waiting 30-45 minutes while seated for your pizza to bake.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

As a Green Bay former Season Ticket holder since 1958 and Green Bay Packer Share holder presently, Kroll's is it!

Seriously, Green Bay is not a dining mecca. The town is still a nice small town and the people are still nice people. I have been stopping at Kroll's since 1958 and its always very good. I would ask your B&B people about where to go in Green Bay. On the way up to Green Bay or back to Chicago, for dinner you could stop at Mangia's http://www.onwisconsin.com/dining/dining.asp?id=1759 in Kenosha or for a truly first class meal, Carlos in Highland Park http://www.carlos-restaurant.com/ .

While in Chicago proper, the number of good restaurants is almost over whelming.

Have a good time!-Dick

Here are a couple more suggestions of places in between Chicago and Green Bay, in case you're interested in stopping off for a nice dinner. If you want a world-class meal from a top chef, Sanford in Milwaukee is the place to go. Just spectacular. Fancy and expensive, too, of course. For a more casual and less expensive place (not "cheap eats" though), Margaux in Sheboygan (50 miles north of Milwaukee) is outstanding, serving contemporary food with influences from many global cuisines.

I've been to both places. Carlos is pretty good, but not great. Sanford, OTOH, is great, as good as the very best places in Chicago (which Carlos is not among, IMHO; I could easily name a couple dozen places in Chicago with better food). The food is far, FAR superior at Sanford. $.02

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all and thanks for the recommendations. Obviously the game was amazing and the atmosphere was fantastic. For food in the area we kept it pretty simple, and had dinner at St. Brendans both nights and while the food was very good, and I mean very good, the service was average to below average. Had a very nice experience at Titletown Brewing Company with great service and suprisingly good food. Went to Brett Favres for the tailgate, and unfortunately it was a gong show, and while the food served was decent, it was too many people in a very tight space. Loved Green Bay, and will definitely be making a pilgrimage back in the near future!! Again, thanks to all for the recommendations.