• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent Great Meals?

sadistick

Greetings,

It's been a while since I posted here, and I must say, our Toronto boards seem to be in a bit of a slump!

So I figured I would pop on a new thread here to just let us share our recent great meals in this amazing city of ours.

I will post some shortly...however, one thing I have been looking for, but unable to find (and usually in Fall they are on more menus) are Sweetbreads!

Has anyone had any great sweetbreads lately?

Anyhooooo...Hope everyone is doing well!

Cheers.

Unlike many Egulleteers I am not a food professional. I work in the heating business. As you can probably imagine I have been rather busy lately. I haven't had time to go out for dinner nor to cook much.

Fortunately I pass by the Fine Food Boutique on my way home and have been picking up soup and salad for dinner there. Across the street is West End Meat Packers, chicken sausage last night, who knows for tomorrow.

No sweetbreads nor any exceptional meals but we have been doing pretty good with very limited time and energy.

Ah, good to see you guys/gals popping in.

Cali you must have a nice chunk of snow up in sticksland by now, eh? :raz:

I know FatCat can make some decent sweetbreads, and I'm sure if I put in a request at say scaramouche or mistura for that matter they could make some as well, but I'm surprised that all the menus I have perused online I have yet to see any listed!

Nothing like fried crisp sweetbreads mmmmmm

Regarding recent great meals - I haven't had that many, in fact, I have had a few bad ones, but thats a whole other matter...

Theres this really good (and cheap) sushi place the GF and I have been going to for a little while now called Ginza Sushi up on Yonge and Clark - they are always busy, so you know the fish is fresh has heck, and its extremely reasonable! I leave there stuffed on Sushi and Sashimi as well as the GF for under $50! Highly recommend it if you dont mind waiting (they dont take reservations)

Anyhoo, tonight my family are doing our quarterly wine tasting dinner...I'll be making large wild mushroom (Shitake, King, black trumpet) and white truffle ravioli...not sure about a sauce, probably will do a mushroom/veal/butter/sage reduction...pairing it with a 99 brunello - should be good!

Have a nice weekend.

Edit to add - Battle - this thread was not limited to sweetbreads, but great meals in general - with a secondary question of a possibility of great sweetbreads. I read some great reviews of winterlicious plates of sweetbreads at Pangeae actually, havent been to Perigee in a while though.

Edited by sadistick (log)

Longo's sometimes has sweetbreads. I don't eat at restaurants often and the last time I had sweetbreads in a restaurant was at Arlequin's 1980's, Avenue Rd. and Davenport. It is probably closed now? Chef was Jean francoise Casari.

Robyn - good to know - Christie and what?

Fugu - One of my uncles dishes last night for our dinner was sweetbreads, I picked up some from Longos, he got some from Pusateries...Man, cleaning them is a pain in the you know what lol. He made this amazing honey lemon sauce to go with em...fantastic. Never heard of Arlequins, so its probably closed :)

Sadistick - Sweetbreads are fabulous arent they ?. Had some here in the UK last week caramelised with a wrapping of parma ham. Just wonderful.

Last meals in TO were sadly in July when last there. Lovely skate at Thuet and a good meal at perigee.

So where did you find good sweatbreads then ?. Got a visit coming up soon !!!!

Didn't end up finding them at a restaurant...yet

We picked some up from Pusateri's and from Longos, and my uncle prepared them.

He cleaned them up, par boiled, then flattened under some weight, finished on the grill (Never had them grilled before, turned out great) and made this awesome lemon/honey/chicken stock reduction as a sauce.

I too prefer them breaded and crisp - nothing like some crispy sweetbreads with a serious reduction mmmm

On another note - went to Quince last night and had a great meal.

Started off with their Duck Terrine which was nice, nothing outstanding, but for $8 you CANT go wrong.

Then had gnocchi with a reduced tomato sauce with braised lamb shank, and some italian cheese...out of this world...truely amazing bang for your buck.

highly recommend this place.

• 2 weeks later...
Robyn - good to know - Christie and what?

Fugu - One of my uncles dishes last night for our dinner was sweetbreads, I picked up some from Longos, he got some from Pusateries...Man, cleaning them is a pain in the you know what lol.  He made this amazing honey lemon sauce to go with em...fantastic.  Never heard of Arlequins, so its probably closed :)

Fiesta Farms is on Christie, halfway between Dupont and Bloor, on the West side. The sweetbreads there are quite inexpensive; however check the date on the package -- they are only brought to the store once per week, often on Thursdays.