• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SEA: Where to buy smaller chickens?

I'm trying to track down a couple of sub-3lb chickens for Thanksgiving dinner. I've tried A&J Meats, University Poultry and Wholefoods, and all they have are 4lb+ monsters (which appears to be the American norm). Anyone have any suggestions for where to find smaller birds?

Thanks!

can't offer adivce for your area, but I too ran into this a lot when looking for chickens under 4 lbs. I finally started to find them at a fancy supermarket in the Dallas area. But getting one under 3 lbs? I haven't seen that. (except cornish game hens, which I understand to be simply small, young chickens)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

can't offer adivce for your area, but I too ran into this a lot when looking for chickens under 4 lbs. I finally started to find them at a fancy supermarket in the Dallas area.  But getting one under 3 lbs?  I haven't seen that.    (except cornish game hens, which I understand to be simply small, young chickens)

I just got back from a trip to France, and most of the chickens in the supermarkets there are in the 1 to 1.25 kg range, which is exactly right. Large chickens must be an American thing.

Those French chickens were incredibly tasty, and very reasonably priced, too: EUR3 for a regular one, and EUR6 for a fancy, pasture-raised etc etc bird. About the only thing in France that was cheap. Oh, and the amazing puff pastry in the supermarkets was also a great deal.

You might try Whole Foods. I was at one in Portland just last Friday and they had a nice display of poultry all the way from Cornish Game Hens, to Poussins, Fryers, Roasters, Stewing Hens and Capons. A size of chicken for anyone.

Hey, Fish, I've had the same problem. Give Jim Drohman a call at Le Pichet. I think the chickens he gets are about three pounds. Actually, I know he gets them from Don and Joe's. Have you tried them?

Yep, Don & Joe's are my first pick at the moment - they have 3 1/4 pounders. I'm sure they'll do nicely.

Next time I make this recipe I'm going to try to order one of the blue-foot chickens from D'Artagnan - apparently they're pretty close to Poulet de Bresse in taste.

Hey, Fish, I've had the same problem. Give Jim Drohman a call at Le Pichet. I think the chickens he gets are about three pounds. Actually, I know he gets them from Don and Joe's. Have you tried them?

Yep, Don & Joe's are my first pick at the moment - they have 3 1/4 pounders. I'm sure they'll do nicely.

Next time I make this recipe I'm going to try to order one of the blue-foot chickens from D'Artagnan - apparently they're pretty close to Poulet de Bresse in taste.

The Smart chickens at Metropolitan Market are usually of the smaller variety. I've been able to find 3 pounders there.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 10 months later...

You can buy live chickens every Saturday in Enumclaw at the Sales Pavilion, (360) 825-3151. Take them home and butcher yourself, not difficult, and you get good chickens of the size you like. Chicken sale start at 11:00 AM, pigs and cows after noon. This is one chance to see agriculture market in a disappearing form, the old guy Ron still runs the show. Sit down in the wood seats it's like stepping back to 1940 (or perhaps this style of community agriculture will have a revival someday--in which case it's like a window to the future). They have a Branding Iron cafe with fresh eggs, hash, etc. You can also get live chickens at Kepplers in E Renton.