• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver's Best clam chowder?

currypuff

Where can I find it? (I was going to make my own, but I think buying 7 pounds of shelled clams is going to cost a pretty penny! Will canned clams suffice if I were to make my own?)

I'm planning on heading down to Granville Island. Hope there is

something worthy there!

Thanks! :raz:

Haven't had a decent Clam Chowder in Vancouver since I was last in The Only decades ago. :rolleyes:

Finest At Sea has indeed some of the best fresh/frozen/deli seafood in the city but the cooked food is from another era-not a memorable one.

The Chowder is execrable, the F&C bad beyond belief.

I remember having a great bowl of clam chowder at the Only during Expo 86.

There is a competition for clam chowders here in North Van every summer. My cousin was a cook in one. It's all white chowder, unfortunately. I prefer the Tomato-based. White has to be unbelievably good to make up for lack of tomatoes.

You'd think with all these clams and all this ethnic food mixing, someone would come up with the Ultimate Clam Chowder here. I've had better clam chowder almost anywhere in Seatlle compared to here. Why is that?

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't had a decent Clam Chowder in Vancouver since I was last in The Only decades ago. :rolleyes:

Finest At Sea has indeed some of the best fresh/frozen/deli seafood in the city but the cooked food is from another era-not a memorable one.

The Chowder is execrable, the F&C bad beyond belief.

Did you go on an off day? The F&C I had there was really good. Chips were just right; sweet, browned, not too crispy and with the correct texture. The fish was a good, very fresh, thick piece (not a thin slice that gets overcooked like many F&C places), with a light beer batter. It was some of the better F&C I've had in Vancity.

Jonathan Colvin

What a coincidence - I was just along W Broadway and saw what looks like a new place called "Kanata Chowder House". It's on the south side of the street between Willow and Laurel, a couple of doors down from Banana Leaf. Not sure if it's open yet...

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato