• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ugly American

philadining

I had forgotten that I was going to write about my own experience that day. I'm glad I did because someone (not me) should go into a career in food writing. That was a wonderfully evocative review and I couldn't agree more with everything said.

You really can't get the baked goods basket anymore? That was one of our favorite parts too.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Went the other night and had a very good meal. The wings were crispy and flavorful. We tried both the bourbon bbq and Fiery wings, although the fiery ones were not spicy at all. Waitress made a point of saying they were really really hot, but maybe they forgot the hot peppers that were supposed to be mixed in with the sauce. Didn't see any.

Had the beef on wick which was delicious. Great house made roll and really good fries. My friend had the fish tacos, which he declred very good. They had Philly Brewing Co. Walt Wit Ale on tap, which was delicious, served with a lemon slice. The biscuits were also tasty. An overall enjoyable experience.

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

Matt,

you can get the *individual* baked goods - we had an excellent danish, with dried apricots on top of the cheese, a nice addition - and a very good cinnamon roll, but not the basket. Still, I think their pastry baking is one of their strong points.

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend held a Two Bell review for Ugly American from Craig Laban. Sort of a mixed bag of comments - some stuff is great and other things sound badly prepared, overpriced, etc. I'm deeply disappointed that the cheddar cheese ice cream isn't being lauded as very good. I was definitely planning to try that apple pie with the cheddar ice cream on it on my next trip there.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 6 months later...

Well, I went back to the Ugly American for brunch this morning. I was really looking forward to the sausage biscuits and gravy, which I had there a month or so ago. Much to my dismay, I learned that the chef and pastry chef are no longer there. There are no biscuits, no sausage biscuits and gravy, none of the lovely brunch items that I looked forward to trying on future visits. We got a couple breakfasts consisting of eggs, english muffin, home fries, and meat. Both orders of eggs were overcooked, one strip of bacon out of three was pretty much blackened, and the coffee and home fries were nothing to write home about. They may still be in-between chefs, I guess. The garbage plate and beef on wick were on the brunch menu, though the latter was listed as 'roast beef sandwich' for some reason, maybe they no longer have the kummelweck rolls because the baker left? Anyway, stay away from the UA for a while.

I don't suppose anyone knows where the original chef and pastry chef went?

The chef and pastry chef were apparently fired several weeks ago. Not sure why. I have a friend on the staff there who told me the grim news. Their interpretation was that the owners were somehow threatened by a chef/pastry chef that were garnering good reviews and getting the place great press. Go figure. I'll post if I get any worthwhile updates on the situation there. No word as yet as to where the former chefs may have gone.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The chef and pastry chef were apparently fired several weeks ago.  Not sure why.  I have a friend on the staff there who told me the grim news.  Their interpretation was that the owners were somehow threatened by a chef/pastry chef that were garnering good reviews and getting the place great press.  Go figure.  I'll post if I get any worthwhile updates on the situation there.  No word as yet as to where the former chefs may have gone.

This had become my favorite brunch spot solely for the biscuit with sausage gravy and lack of long lines. I hope that wherever they end up they bring that dish with them.

One word comment: AAAAAAAAARGH!!

Further reflection: it takes a particularly shortsighted and masochist business owner to fire the people who are bringing good reviews (which means clients, which means BILLS IN THE CASH REGISTER). Something comes to mind about geese and golden eggs.

Edited by lfabio2007 (log)

Having at one time owned a restaurant and having fired a chef or two, I'd suggest that there is often more than one side to such a tale.

Speaking of the restaurant business in general, I'd also suggest that as painful as it may be to shoot one's self in the foot, it is preferable to aiming at one's head as a final option to bring an end to the misery and frustration a wretched kitchen crew is capable of inflicting on a gentle and well-meaning restaurant owner.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Speaking of the restaurant business in general, I'd also suggest that as painful as it may be to shoot one's self in the foot, it is preferable to aiming at one's head as a final option to bring an end to the misery and frustration a wretched kitchen crew is capable of inflicting on a gentle and well-meaning restaurant owner.

I do not doubt your experience: however, I have to wonder how long the restaurant can survive as a going concern, as the wording goes, after that kind of a choice.

Chefs are fired all the time. They quit all the time, too. Sometimes, in either case, when they go, a few or all of their crew leaves with them. I learned to be leery of a new chef who after a few months had eased out the existing staff and replaced them with his/her people. The loyalty is to the chef and on occasion, a restaurant ends up finding itself without a chef and key kitchen personnel all at once - sometimes in the middle of a weekend dinner turnout. More drama, but not a lot of fun.

A chef and a restaurant owner pairing is like any other sort of relationship - probably with a similar likelihood of an eventual break-up no matter how good things were at the start. Not inevitable, but it occurs often enough.

Blame can be mutual or mostly on one or the other. As you say, when it happens it is a tough time for the restaurant if word gets out. As happens nowadays in politics, blogs and discussion forums make it much easier for the word to get out, spun as the relater cares to portray the events. Fortunately the restaurant will find another chef and the chef will find another restaurant.

What is really tragic, of course, is when a chef/owner go their separate ways.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter