• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed Puddings- eG Bake-Off X

Kerry Beal

Bump this ..

This thread sure isn't doing much - I hope that doesn't mean that last year's experiments were a bust!

In any case, I haven't really got much further ahead since I posted that last message, but my Uncle wrote me not long after wanting to know if I wanted my Aunt's pudding basins .. well, I certainly did, and he's sent them to me!

Only one of them could really be called 'small', but I'm convinced they'll freeze, and I'll bet they can be warmed up nicely in the micro wave :-) No sense having all this nifty technology if you don't use it!

Here they are:

gallery_48348_3661_55878.jpg

gallery_48348_3661_20168.jpg

So .. time to check out the recipes! Will be back ...

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

... it occurred to me (or maybe i saw it somewhere) -- could you make mini puddings in small (250mL) wide-mouthed mason jars? they would certainly stand up to steaming/heating no problem. would this work?

My mother makes hers in a one quart mason jar filled only half full. She's always done it that way, and until last summer when she was making it and I pointed it out, she had no idea that she was making a steamed pudding, she just thought she was canning it :smile: She stores the puddings on a shelf in the basement because the jar seals and it's fine come Christmas.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 3 weeks later...

Edited by Hawthorne (log)

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"