• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Long To Keep Chicken Stock?

JohnRov

I made chicken stock. I used some but needed to get containers to freeze and then stuff came up and I went out of town, etc. Anyway, it's been refrigerated for about a week and a half, is it bad or can I still freeze it and use it?

I made chicken stock.  I used some but needed to get containers to freeze and then stuff came up and I went out of town, etc.  Anyway, it's been refrigerated for about a week and a half, is it bad or can I still freeze it and use it?

Whew, I'd be getting rid of that. Usually, if I'm keeping stock in the fridge, I'll boil it every two days or so - then it may last for a week or more.

When in doubt, throw it out.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I suspect that after a week and a half it doesn't even pass the "smell test" -- throw it out. No sense risking getting ill over a few dollars' worth of chicken stock.

Yeah, Chicken Stock is remarkably similar in consistency and nutirtional content as the media we use to grow bacteria in the lab.

It's just not worth it :(

Usually, if I'm keeping stock in the fridge, I'll boil it every two days or so - then it may last for a week or more. 

Actually, if you re-boil your stock every three days, it will last indefinitely. *Something* I learned from cooking school... Not that anyone would have stock around that long, but it is a good thing to know. Boiling will kill the nasty bugs and there is no reason you would have to dump it, even after a week or more!

Many larger commercial kitchens will simply keep their stores of stock continually replenished; making new stock and adding it (and re-boiling it) to older stock.

Does this also apply to the commercialized, tetra-packed stock, say, like Campbell's produces? I've had some left over in the fridge for about a week (still in its pack, but opened nevertheless). Wouldn't there be a whack load of chemicals in there to keep it fresher longer?

I don't know if that's good advice....boiling will surely kill the bacteria, but won't do anything to the toxins they may leave behind. I wouldn't go around preaching that type of behavior...

Before pressure canning, that was a proper technique for food preservation. From what I understand after the first boil spores can then "hatch" a couple days later. The second and third boil get rid of the spores.

Since we pressure can large batches I'm not sure of the time intervals necessary for chicken stock.