• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Difference in Peugeot pepper mills

ManhattanLawyer

To quote myself:

Today I received my factory-direct Unicorn Magnum.  THIS THING KICKS ASS ALL OVER MY PEUGEOT PEPPER MILL!!  The way this thing spews forth pepper is astounding.  I'm talking like an 1/8th turn on the Magnum is like two full turns on the Peugeot.  Serious pepper production!

(BTW, I've tried everything I could think of in an attempt to get that Peugeot to perform.  It's the 11 incher, a very thoughtful gift from someone, but I'm now convinced that it's a tired design...)

My Peugeot now serves out its life as a lovely bit of kitchen decoration.

P.S. The Peugeot mechanism is the same throughout the line. Just pick a style you like if you go that route...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I've a Peugeot and I like it quite a bit - to a point. Mine is made from olive wood - it looks and feels great. The mechanism is smooth, and it seems to be durable. That's the up side. The down side is that I can't adjust the grind very much. The pepper is ground pretty fine, and the range of adjustment is limited. At some point I'll get another pepper millthat offers a wider adjustment/grind range.

shel

... Shel

I have an electric Peugeot similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Peugeot-Rennes-Elect...c/dp/B000FDDVEE that I got on clearance several years back. The light is pretty handy but beware: changing the batteries can sometimes be more complicated than you would think it should be because of the way things must line up. Other than that I am happy with the capacity and grind.

My other Peugeot is manual: http://www.amazon.com/Peugeot-PM16845-Soch...l/dp/B00008DHOO This set is great. Very solid mechanics overall.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali