• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodblog: Lucylou95816

lucylou95816

Lucy, thanks for taking the time to dazzle us with the amazing blog during such a busy time of year; it was most enjoyable. I loved all the photos of your adorable pets, wine, Thanksgiving meal, amazing farmers market and grocery. I wish there was something even close to that in my area. Thank you, again for sharing! :wub:

Marigene, Thank you for the message. It has been a lot of work, but fun as well. Mark was very enthusiastic about this blog. He said, "I didn't think that our life was that interesting until I saw it on the internet." :raz:

I am uploading the pictures of the our "last supper" so to speak but did get the creamed onions recipe from my dad's girlfriend. Here it is:

I use the small onions that come in a bag. I have learned over the years that it is easier to peel them after they are cooked. I boil them till tender then peel them.

Cream sauce: 2 tab. of butter 2 tab. of flour 1/4 teas. salt

1/8 teas. pepper 1 cup of milk.

Melt the butter in sauce pan. Add flour stirring while adding. When completely added start to add the milk but do it slowly and continue to stir. Bring to a boil and cook until you have it at the desired thickness. I sometimes add more milk. I doubled this at Thanksgiving and used 4 bags of onions. I also did this much ahead of time and then put in the oven to warm before dinner. I took it out when they were bubbling. I sprinkled with a light coating of Paprika.

Okey doke, here's the last dinner for you. Since we went down to have a couple of cocktails, it's amazing that we go this dinner done, and semi-okay pictures to boot. But we had obligations to you! :raz:

As I had said, we used Tyler's Ultimate Meatballs, no spaghetti. These are so good. The low carb twist though is to use

gallery_45680_5396_110780.jpg

Now this wouldn't have been a proper low carb foodblog without the appearance of pork rinds. I personally don't like the taste of them, but what we do is soak them in heavy cream

gallery_45680_5396_101295.jpg

And they take the place of bread crumbs.

We didn't get pictures of the next steps, were sauteed onions and garlic, put into a bowl with the pork rinds, salt, pepper, chopped parsley, hamburger meat and ground pork.

Roll them into almost tennis ball sized balls. This recipe makes about 10 good sized meatballs

gallery_45680_5396_95998.jpg

Brown them in a skillet with some oil

gallery_45680_5396_58982.jpg

gallery_45680_5396_83499.jpg

Then put them into a baking dish

gallery_45680_5396_43138.jpg

In another pot, saute some onion

gallery_45680_5396_87121.jpg

add some garlic

gallery_45680_5396_6037.jpg

Then add the San Marzano tomatoes

gallery_45680_5396_112008.jpg

Add some basil, season with salt and pepper and let simmer for a bit. We might have thrown some wine in there too.

gallery_45680_5396_86024.jpg

Pour the sauce over the meatballs

gallery_45680_5396_18995.jpg

Grate some mozzarella cheese

gallery_45680_5396_78324.jpg

Spread on top of the meatballs and sauce

gallery_45680_5396_78718.jpg

And bake until melted and bubbly

gallery_45680_5396_84582.jpg

Then it's time to dish some up

gallery_45680_5396_25658.jpg

That's what I'll be having for breakfast, since the original plan was to also make last night, a crustless quiche for my breakfast this week since it's back to good old work. But that didn't happen. I'll probably make it tonight and what will go into that is eggs, cream, I got some Italian sausage, I was going to use the sweet red onions I got yesterday at the farmers market, some frozen broccoli and some frozen artichoke hearts. Mix it all together, bake it and it's done. I just reheat in the morning in the microwave and sometimes add a dollop of sour cream.

One last cleanup note, I talked to my friend about the yankee doodles. Basically she toasts the rye bread on both sides. Makes a meat mix of hamburger, some ketchup, lea and perrins, salt, pepper, one other thing I can't remember. :huh: Spreads it on the bread, smears some of that durkee sauce on top and then broils them until they are done. No cheese or anything else.

Well, that's about all I have for you. Myself and Mark, along with the furry crew, have truly enjoyed spending this week sharing our food related habits with everyone. Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll answer them as long as the blog stays open.

Thanks again to everyone who has read and commented.

Have a great Holiday Season!

:wub:

I've thoroughly enjoyed the photos - of wonderful pets, fine foods, excellent cooking - as well as the writeups. I am agog at Corti's, and envious of the Farmer's Market. It reminds me anew, as if I needed reminding, just how short the growing season is out here compared to there. (It IS too bad the Meyer Lemon seller picked so many lemons still green.) Thanks for giving us such a good pictorial glimpse into the Atkins lifestyle.

Thanks for doing such a lovely blog!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've thoroughly enjoyed the photos - of wonderful pets, fine foods, excellent cooking - as well as the writeups.  I am agog at Corti's, and envious of the Farmer's Market.  It reminds me anew, as if I needed reminding, just how short the growing season is out here compared to there.  (It IS too bad the Meyer Lemon seller picked so many lemons still green.)  Thanks for giving us such a good pictorial glimpse into the Atkins lifestyle. 

Thanks for doing such a lovely blog!

Thank you for reading and your comments. I was actually surprised to see lemons there, since in the past when I have asked about lemons, they say that since alot of them are grown in Mexico, they don't allow the sellers at California Farmers Markets. At this house, I do have a lemon tree that gives us a good bunch of them. One of the ladies that works at one of the doctor offices I call on, asked if she could have some, and I told her to help herself. Some days when I go into the office, she'll have a lemon or two standing by. Right now they're still pretty green, but the orange tree that is between my house and my neighbors is starting to look like it will be orange juice time soon. Thanks again!

I know how much work this was, with a holiday to cover, and you did it splendidly!!

Thank you for all the lovely photos and visits to places we may never see save through another's eyes.  It's been wonderful.

Thank you! I am glad that you enjoyed it. What will I do with my time now?--This week, plan a party for 40+ on Saturday. :blink:

Really enjoyable blog, Stephanie. I am glad to have had the peek inside Corti Bros., have heard about it for so long and it does look fabulous.

The pix of your Sunday farmer's market could almost have been of the Sunday farmer's market I attended here in SoCal yesterday, veg-wise anyways. Sure wish ours had oysters, though.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Plan a party for 40+ people? That will be a piece of cake compared to keeping a foodblog, trust me. (This might not be the case if it weren't for the requirement that all images be uploaded to ImageGullet.)

As for the wine: If you go back through my second foodblog (link in .sig), you will note that I devoted a fair bit of time to Pennsylvania's liquor laws and state monopoly on liquor sales. The only alcoholic beverage producers who are exempt from working through the State Store system are the state's own wineries, some of which are coming into their own as producers of interesting, quality wine; they may sell directly to consumers at the winery or through their own retail outlets (Blue Mountain Vineyards has one of these in the Reading Terminal Market). Otherwise, if the LCB doesn't carry it in their Wine & Spirits shops, your only options are: 1) Use the LCB's special order system to have it shipped to a State Store near you or 2) head to an out-of-state retail outlet to purchase it illegally.

Pennsylvania wineries were allowed to ship product directly to Pennsylvania consumers, but a court decision ruled that this practice discriminated against out-of-state wineries and thus ran afoul of the U.S. Constitution's interstate commerce clause. As a result, Pennsylvanians can't have wine legally shipped directly to them from anywhere, be it Chadds Ford or Chatsworth.

I guess I'll have to travel to California to check these out.

Thanks again for a great blog!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Stephanie, many thanks (do I detect an echo in here?) for the blog. I'm particularly appreciative of the numerous photos, and will admit to salivating occasionally at your well-documented efforts. As a former resident of California for nearly two decades, your home town is quite familiar to me - and yet, I saw little familiar in your view. Thank you for the new sights, new recipes, and nostalgia.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Thank you for a great blog. Lovely pet pictures, and wonderful food! And a special thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving with us. I know a blog is hard work and it's even harder when you have to report about festivities! (especially with all that wine :wink: )

Really enjoyable blog, Stephanie.  I am glad to have had the peek inside Corti Bros., have heard about it for so long and it does look fabulous.

The pix of your Sunday farmer's market could almost have been of the Sunday farmer's market I attended here in SoCal yesterday, veg-wise anyways.  Sure wish ours had oysters, though.

That's interesting that you've heard of Corti Brothers. I've never really had the oysters, so I don't know if this guy was selling good ones or not. Thanks for reading.

Plan a party for 40+ people?  That will be a piece of cake compared to keeping a foodblog, trust me.  (This might not be the case if it weren't for the requirement that all images be uploaded to ImageGullet.)

As for the wine:  If you go back through my second foodblog (link in .sig), you will note that I devoted a fair bit of time to Pennsylvania's liquor laws and state monopoly on liquor sales.  The only alcoholic beverage producers who are exempt from working through the State Store system are the state's own wineries, some of which are coming into their own as producers of interesting, quality wine; they may sell directly to consumers at the winery or through their own retail outlets (Blue Mountain Vineyards has one of these in the Reading Terminal Market).  Otherwise, if the LCB doesn't carry it in their Wine & Spirits shops, your only options are: 1) Use the LCB's special order system to have it shipped to a State Store near you or 2) head to an out-of-state retail outlet to purchase it illegally.

Pennsylvania wineries were allowed to ship product directly to Pennsylvania consumers, but a court decision ruled that this practice discriminated against out-of-state wineries and thus ran afoul of the U.S. Constitution's interstate commerce clause.  As a result, Pennsylvanians can't have wine legally shipped directly to them from anywhere, be it Chadds Ford or Chatsworth.

I guess I'll have to travel to California to check these out.

Thanks again for a great blog!

Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment. I've read your blogs before, but I'll have to go through again. That really stinks that you can't have them shipped, and then I would assume that if you come here and buy some to take home, you may not be able to get them on the plane, right?

Yes, the party may be easier than imagegullet, that had to be my one big challenge of the blog. Thanks again!

Stephanie, many thanks (do I detect an echo in here?) for the blog.  I'm particularly appreciative of the numerous photos, and will admit to salivating occasionally at your well-documented efforts.  As a former resident of California for nearly two decades, your home town is quite familiar to me - and yet, I saw little familiar in your view.  Thank you for the new sights, new recipes, and nostalgia.

Thank you for reading, and I am glad to have shared some new experiences with you.

Thank you for a great blog. Lovely pet pictures, and wonderful food! And a special thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving with us. I know a blog is hard work and it's even harder when you have to report about festivities!  (especially with all that wine  :wink: )

The wine numbed the pain. :raz: Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment.

Thanks for taking the time to blog, especially during Thanksgiving.  Having done 3 blogs, I know its a lot of work!!

Your Welcome and thank you for reading and contributing with Harley. We had a great time. Thanks.

Excellent blog! (Especially the potato recipe. Holy moly. And the pork rinds.)

Just wanted to drop by and say hey...you know my mom (Nancy) from Junior League. :) She mentioned you had a blog on Egullet and I'm glad I took a look. It's so nice to see Sacramento bloggers covering my home region...I am dying to try 55 Degrees because mussels are such wonderful, wonderful things. The farmers markets photos are dizzying...we go to a teeny little market near our house in Carmichael, but it obviously doesn't compare. I'm jealous.

Anyways, hope to see you around while posting on EG!