• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would you do

mojoman

I've got $183 on a few gift cards at Macy's.

Over the summer, I enjoyed (somewhat) an All Clad grill pan that I got for free because I bought a bunch of AC at WS. I'm not in love with the AC grill pain for two reasons: 1. It's too thin and 2. The ridges are not high enough.

I saw a two-burner LeCruset reversible grill pan/griddle at Macy's for ~$150. The ridges look deep enough and, being LC, it must be heavy.

Question for the eGullet crowd...do you think it could double as a pizza stone (for small pizzas or oblong ones)?

Any other ideas? (I know that's a superbroad question...I'm well supplied with knives, pots and pans, gadgets, and electronics).

Edited by mojoman (log)

I saw a two-burner LeCruset reversible grill pan/griddle at Macy's for ~$150.  The ridges look deep enough and, being LC, it must be heavy.

Question for the eGullet crowd...do you think it could double as a pizza stone (for small pizzas or oblong ones)?

Any other ideas? (I know that's a superbroad question...I'm well supplied with knives, pots and pans, gadgets, and electronics).

I don't know that it could double as a pizza stone - if it has a phenolic handle, then you shouldn't heat it above a certain temperature (450F ?). Also, pizza stones and tiles tend to be porous, which I believe leads to a crisper crust.

I would just wander around the housewares area and see what catches your eye. A great set of wine glasses perhaps? Something for the table instead of the kitchen?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I had a gift card that was redeemable at Macys and a few other merchants. I ended up getting a pressure cooker and a KA hand mixer. Both were things that I didn't own. I could have got a small AC skillet for the same price but I am really enjoying the pressure cooker.

depends on what you don't have and need. This would be a great way for you to buy a lot of your Xmas gifts, even if you never left the housewares department. Right now, the "housewares" department is expanded and can include things like digital picture frames, DVD players for $60, homedics chair massage pads as well as the "gifty" type items. There is a blossoming iced tea maker that comes with 10 teas that would make a great, inexpensive gift. In the martha stewart line, there's a pretty nice salt and pepper grinder that comes with the grinders and containers of coarse salt and peppercorns. You could stock up on holiday-themed dishes such as serving bowls and candy dishes, etc.

Let's just say I'm pretty familiar with what they have, and I wouldn't recommend spending it on any sort of pans there, they just aren't that high-end. But if you need a new turkey roaster or want to replace your blender or something, there are plenty of choices like that.

I'd have to agree with Rock and Roller. If it were my gift card, I'd buy my signature scent( which is Opium) and some clothes. I'd skip the housewares dept, because I always think I could find X better/cheaper somewhere else.

Do your holiday shopping with it and save your cash for quality goodies for yourself

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association