• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The size of a candy bar

snowangel

Candy bars seem to come in a few sizes. Some, like Reese's PB cups in two sizes -- the regular and the small. Some, like Snicker's and Milky Way's in three sizes -- regular, those little two or three-bite rectangular ones, and the mini's -- which are about 1" square.

This weekend, Diana had some friends over, and one brought a handful of candy bars. We debated what size is best, and concluded it depended on the size of the bar. We all concurred that a salted nut roll is better in the "mini" size. More salt and nut ratio to the nougat. We all agreed that the bigger Reese's PB cups are better. I personally really love those little tiny square Milky Way Midnights -- the ratio of dark choc to the filling is wonderful. But, I had a hankering for one the other day and bought the full-size bar. Ick.

The conclusion was that some are much better small, and with some it doesn't matter. What are your fav sizes for your fav bars?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I like the smallest version of most candy bars, the really tiny Milky Way Dark type that you mentioned are the best versions of those brands. But I prefer minis, and fun-sizes of whatever. I like a little variety, I would rather eat 3-4 of those tiny ones than commit to 10 bites of one kind of candy.

Some notable exceptions are the Take 5 bars, and like you mentioned Reese's peanut butter cups.

It's funny that you bring this up, because I just had this realization over Halloween, the smaller ones are way better. We never buy the full sized bars, even when we crave chocolate, but man, we were all over the Halloween candy! Caused me to wonder why.

Edited by Lilija (log)

The conclusion was that some are much better small, and with some it doesn't matter.  What are your fav sizes for your fav bars?

Sounds like some serious research going on at your place.

I like my chocolate bars in shooter form. If I can't get the whole thing in my mouth at once, forget it. I don't know why the Halloween-sized bars aren't available year round.

A Snickers Bar sliced up (on an angle, of course) is also acceptable.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I like the little bars best, too. If I have a big bar, I'd have to eat the whole thing or most of it would go to waste (I tend to forget about food I've put away). That's either a whole lot of useless calories or a whole lot of wasted food, and I can rarely eat a whole large bar of chocolate. With the little bars, I just eat one or two and be satisfied.

I'm not a big chocolate fan, though, so that's part of the reason I can't usually eat a big bar of chocolate.

If we were talking potato chips, though...the bigger the bag the better!

What about the popular ( In MN at least) Nut Goodie? I remember they used to be a lot bigger than they are now. I don't care how big they are, I just wish I could buy them in MI. If I want some, I have to mail order them!!

When reading this thread, I was certain I'd quite recently seen a similar size/taste comparison. Sure enough! The Great Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Size/Taste Differential Experiment

This quasi-scientific test illustrated that small versions of candy (at least the aforementioned peanut butter cups) had different coasting to filling ratios. Those testers found closer ratios to be preferable, but it's all a matter of taste and candy bar - as the original poster pointed out.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Hmm! And here I had been so annoyed at the way candy bar overall sizes had been shrinking over the years (while the prices kept climbing), that I never even stopped to consider that there might be an upside to small sized bars.

(Sez she who, when she was still eating candy bars on a regular basis, always went for the biggest Three Musketeers bar in the rack, because she was stuck in the Bigger is Always Better mental rut.)

• 2 weeks later...

Little teensy square Midnights.

We've found wonderful sales on full-size bars near Halloween for the past two years, and they've been VERY popular with our big crowd of costumed troopers-by. We line them up neatly on big trays, by kind and color. (This does not excuse the four HUGE Vidalias that Chris wandered out into the yard and circled nicely around the vase of dead roses---you'd be surprised how many kids asked if they could have an onion). I'd love to have seen the parents' faces when the T or T bags were opened.

This year, we learned from a group of four teenage girls that we're "awesome" and "tight."

Another group of four teenage boys approached, and the first three were looking over the merchandise, blocking the view of the last to arrive. Being taller than the others, he towered over and took a look, with an astonished, "Sh!t! They're REAL!"

Another group of four teenage boys approached, and the first three were looking over the merchandise, blocking the view of the last to arrive.  Being taller than the others, he towered over and took a look, with an astonished, "Sh!t!  They're REAL!"

The funny thing is if I were handing out full size bars I would probably give out one a piece, whereas I give a big handful of mini ones which most likely is overall more candy.

During the Halloween season, I purchased a large bag of assorted chocolate "minis" to keep in my candy jar at work.

I discovered that I absolutely love the mini size. It's just perfect for a one bite treat - Snickers, Milky Way, Milky Way midnight, Three Muskateers & Twix.

Another group of four teenage boys approached, and the first three were looking over the merchandise, blocking the view of the last to arrive.   Being taller than the others, he towered over and took a look, with an astonished, "Sh!t!  They're REAL!"

The funny thing is if I were handing out full size bars I would probably give out one a piece, whereas I give a big handful of mini ones which most likely is overall more candy.

With anywhere from 150 to 175 kid traipsing up to our front door, a big handful of anything, even minis would get very costly very fast. :wacko:

With anywhere from 150 to 175 kid traipsing up to our front door, a big handful of anything, even minis would get very costly very fast. :wacko:

Sadly our neighborhood, though full of kids, has drifted to the Halloween or Harvest festival way of celebrating, rather than the door to door. I found myself on the front porch listening for the sound of eager squealing children and hoping they would come by.