• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quiche: Puff Pastry Crust

annachan

I'm thinking of making quiche for a brunch. Instead of the usual crust, I like to make one with puff pastry as the crust. I've actually had that at a local restaurant and my husband loved it.

So, I need to figure out how to do this. Do I just defrost the crust, put it on the bottom of the pan, fill it up and bake it? Or should I bake the crust first? If I bake it first, do I just par bake it?

Any assistance is appreciated! :raz:

I usually dock the pastry and add pastry weights and par cook. Then, while still hot, I brush the dough with egg wash to reseal the holes made by the docking. Then I add the quiche mixture and bake. Maybe the docking park is not necessary with the weights?

I usually dock the pastry and add pastry weights and par cook. Then, while still hot, I brush the dough with egg wash to reseal the holes made by the docking. Then I add the quiche mixture and bake. Maybe the docking park is not necessary with the weights?

Sounds great! How long do you par bake it for?

When I'm feeling very lazy, I use puff pastry for quiche. I use weights, but don't dock, and I don't get too much puffing when I parbake. But I usually have a problem with the edges--even if I dock them, they still puff too much, and I can't really put weights on them. Haven't quite figured out how to solve that problem.

i find i get the best results by completely baking the crust before filling with the custard. as the custard is delicate and usually doesn't need much baking, this ensures that the crust is crisp and fully baked on the bottom.

edited to add: if using puff, i would definitely make sure that the dough is rolled out very thin in order for it to bake thoroughly. if you're interested in some puffing, i'd bake it with weights until the dough is almost set and then remove the weights and finish the baking. this way, you'll still get some puff and flakiness. otherwise, there really isn't a reason to use puff pastry in lieu of a flaky pie dough.

Edited by alanamoana (log)