• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who invented jalapeno poppers?

et alors

I have been googling, yahooing and wikipedia-ing and less I can learn, the more I want to know.

Where did they come from? They are so canonic now, they must have come from somewhere...

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

"The origin is unclear, but they are most likely an americanized version of the classic Mexican dish, chile rellenos"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalape%C3%B1o_popper

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

"The origin is unclear, but they are most likely an americanized version of the classic Mexican dish, chile rellenos"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalape%C3%B1o_popper

tracey

Unfortunately I wrote that, at the end of some fairly extensive reading. I hoped it might inspire someone to correct me. :) See, you can't trust wikipedia. ;)

That data came from a chowhound speculation.

I can't believe no one knows who thought, "hey I like chili rellenos, but I'm in America and I bet cream cheese would fly."

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I remember having them at a Mexican restaurant in Atlanta in the late 80s maybe? Time is a bit iffy, but definitely pre-1992. They weren't called poppers yet though I don't think. My parents would remember better, I'll ask them. Are you interested in where the "poppers" name came from, or the concept of mini-rellenos?

Edited by markemorse (log)

I can say from personal experience, that La Palapaloca, aka Bullo's Place, in Ensenada, has been serving jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese for much, much longer and this appetiser has found its way to restaurants in San Diego and on up the coast.

I was visiting Ensenada for sportfishing in the mid-to-late '60s and they were popular then. I think Hussong's also served them so it wasn't limited to one place. However we always stayed at the Corona hotel which was a couple of blocks from the pier and could walk across the street to Bullo's so that was the place with which I was most familiar.

They weren't called "poppers" in Ensenada but the name is not all that important when the knowledge of this particular "dish" has been traveling around the country for a few decades and for it suddenly to appear in the upper midwest (where fresh jalapeños were not even available earlier) is rather suspicious to me.

I think that rooftop1000 is correct in that they are a variation of the classic chile relleno but the fact is that many gringos can't handle the heat of a jal and the cream cheese reduces the heat to the point that it is tolerable for those that do not have a tin throat.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think I'm looking for a ceasar-salad type story. It's a funny thing, I don't know why I'm obsessed but when I see something that codified, I figure that had to be an ur-popper: someone must have either invented or codified it. But maybe not, maybe it was evolution. :\

My guess is that something like it (cooked cheese-stuffed jalapenos) has been around for some time and probably has no single inventor. I mean, it's not rocket science.

Their ubiquity (and the name "poppers," which is a registered trademark) probably came about when Heinz started to distribute them in frozen "ready for the fryer" form. I note that jalapeno poppers became ubiquitous right around the same time as deep fried breaded mozzarella sticks and deep fried breaded mushrooms (both also sold by Heinz under the "poppers" trademark).

--

• 2 weeks later...

Their ubiquity (and the name "poppers," which is a registered trademark) probably came about when Heinz started to distribute them in frozen "ready for the fryer" form.

That rings true.. thanks!

BTW, I also have been experimenting with homemade poppers, and think I have it down now.

http://www.nothing-new.com/food/archives/j...pers.php#004934

the combination of beer batter and panko was amazingly effective.

I certainly feel comfortable I've got Heitz beat.