• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Membrillo Question

Kim Shook

I've never had the packaged stuff, but I put my homemade membrillo in the fridge, wrapped in waxed paper.  It keeps for up to a year that way.

Could you share how you make your membrillo? I've always bought the packaged kind. After opening I store leftovers in the refrigerator.

I make it according to this wonderful method from our own jackal10. It works perfectly. Now that I'm living in France where quinces are so plentiful, I'll be making it several times this year.

Thanks so much! And many thanks to jackal10 for posting directions and photos. I rarely see fresh quinces in the market here, but have planted a couple of quince trees at our farm. Hopefully I will someday get to make membrillo from my own quinces. In the meanwhile, I'm going to see if I can get the produce guy to order some. Do you wrap your membrillo in bay leaves?

Too kind.

Two quince trees will give you more than enough unless you plan to go into commercial production. One is more than enough for me.

I don't flavour my Membrillo at all, but I guess you could. Wrapping in bay leaves is an old tradition

Keeping it is like jam. It keeps OK in a tin in a dry dark cupboard.

Another planned use for our quinces will for my own pectin, rather than using commercial varieties. My great-grandmother always served candied quinces with goose. That's what I normally make when I find quinces here.

I do think I may try one batch of membrillo with the bay leaves just to taste the difference.