• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Flavorings

chocofoodie

That's the one I've seen, although I haven't actually used it yet. If you want fewer than 4 bottles (as sold on Amazon) You can probably get it at Whole Foods or other natural foods kind of store - that's where I've seen it.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Just an idea: Could you use alcohol extracts to get a fruit flavour into solid chocolate? Infuse berries/fruits in alcohol, then distill (perhaps by freeze distillation) to get rid of most of the water.

I've tried infusing many different fruits into alcohol, but have not had any work. They aren't strong enough for the flavor to come though. You might just want to buy a liquer for that purpose, it's alot easier.

Luis

Would a liquer work for flavouring "solid" chocolate (ie. not a ganache) without making it grainy or too soft? Because then we are onto something, a liquer beeing essentially a alcohol/water/sugar solution.

It would likely cause the chocolate to seize used in the quantities needed to flavour the chocolate.

A couple of nights ago I had a chocolate soup at La Bastide de Mamette that was flavored with curry. There was a star anise on the side, which I didn't taste, but the flavor of the curry and chocolate together, contrary to my expectations, was absolutely wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried infusing tea, like green tea, for example, directly into chocolate? Is this how it is done?

I wonder if heating the chocolate with the dry tea, keeping it at about 40 degrees or so for a while, straining out the tea and then tempering would work?