• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mom's 60th Birthday

Maesie

I'd like to pay for dinner for my mom on her birthday, but I live across the country in Portland, OR and need some help choosing a restaurant.

My mom's a sophisticated diner, but her companion is more of a meat and potatoes type of guy. Is there a place that can make them both happy? It doesn't have to be in St. Augustine itself; Jacksonville would be okay.

I looked through the forum a bit and it sounded like Opus 39 is well thought of. Is that still the case? Any other restaurants you'd suggest?

Thanks so much for your help!

If she's in St. Augustine - there's no reason to go to Jacksonville since Opus 39 is better than any place I've dined at in Jacksonville. It's still the best restaurant in the Jax metro area these days IMO - except perhaps for Salt at the RC on Amelia Island - which would be an overnight trip from St. Augustine unless you had a limo or a designated driver - it's about a 90 minute drive.

FWIW - the menu at Opus 39 is a 5 course menu - with 2 choices on each of the courses except for the main - which is a choice of 3. There has always been a meat choice on the main when I've been there. As for potatoes - they're usually on the menu if they're in season here (we have a big potato crop in St. Johns County). I live in the area - so I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have. Robyn