• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

6000 Years of Bread, HE Jacobs

gfron1

A customer just finished reading this book and its atop my must read list. Interesting since its 60 years old! From what the customer relayed to me, I'm anxious to give a modern read to this aged writing.

From amazon:

Yeast, water, flour, and heat. How could this simple mixture have been the cause of war and plague, celebration and victory, supernatural vision and more? In this remarkable and all-encompassing volume, H. E. Jacob takes us through six thousand dynamic years of bread's role in politics, religion, technology, and beyond. Who were the first bakers? Why were bakers distrusted during the Middle ages? How did bread cause Napoleon's defeat? Why were people buried with bread? Six Thousand Years of Bread has the answers. Jacob follows the story from its beginning in ancient Egypt and continues through to modern times. The poignant and inspiring conclusion of the book relays the author's experiences in a Nazi concentration camp, subsisting on bread made of sawdust. (6 X 9, 416 pages, illustrations)

Whomever is going to get it for me for the holidays, paperback will be fine :wink:

[note: The amazon description shows it from 1997, but my customer said it was written in the 40s]

Here is the library of congress description. Apparently first published in 1944, reprinted in 1970. Abebooks shows one copy from 1970 for $55. Apparently it is a translation, but no indication of from which language it is translated.