• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nougat paste

Aria

I spotted something called 'Nougat Paste' at the local bakers place I go to for my confectionery needs...it's actually ground hazlenuts,ground almonds, some veg. oil and sugar. It tastes great, very good quality. I was hoping to find some 'Gianduja' but this was the closest they had. I'm planning on folding this into some milk chocolate / creme fraiche ganache, enrobing in milk choc. and rolling in toasted hazlenuts.

- Anyone tried hazlenut truffles w/ good results?

- Anyone know why this is called 'Nougat Paste'?

Thanks!

I spotted something called 'Nougat Paste' at the local bakers place I go to for my confectionery needs...it's actually ground hazlenuts,ground almonds, some veg. oil and sugar. It tastes great, very good quality. I was hoping to find some 'Gianduja' but this was the closest they had. I'm planning on folding this into some milk chocolate / creme fraiche ganache, enrobing in milk choc. and rolling in toasted hazlenuts.

- Anyone tried hazlenut truffles w/ good results?

- Anyone know why this is called 'Nougat Paste'?

Thanks!

I have made a hazelnut truffle that turned out well. You could probably substitute the nougat paste. For 50 truffles it is 80 g room temperature butter, 100 g hazelnut paste, 100 g each melted and cooled milk and dark chocolate. I also added a bit of vanilla essence.

Not sure why they call it nougat paste.

You could also add some Frangelico instead of some of the butter, it would make the taste a bit more complex with some depth. Not sure of a good substitution ratio.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Thanks so much Kerry and mrose!! I will try some Frangelico, always wanted to. Kerry, the nougat paste was from McCalls. They've got a new pistachio paste that looks great, maybe you can try it and let me know:) Take care,

Thanks so much Kerry and mrose!! I will try some Frangelico, always wanted to. Kerry, the nougat paste was from McCalls. They've got a new pistachio paste that looks great, maybe you can try it and let me know:) Take care,

I've got a bucket of pistachio paste from Qzina to go through first. Let me know if you need some.

You can get gianduja from Qzina in 5kg bars.

My other recipe for hazelnut truffles

(250) is 1 kg gianduja, 200 g hazelnut paste, 650 g bittersweet chocolate, 625 ml cream, 75 ml frangelico, 50 grams glucose.

Hi. I get my praline paste from Valrhona. JPW gave us a recipe in the course:

500 g praline, 250 g dark choc melted and tempered, 100g-150g of inclusive ingredients (paillete Feuilletine, nibs, Bres etc). Mix the choc and praline very well, add the inclusive ingr, slab the ganache, cool overnight on the marble, cut and dip.

If you want milk chocolate use 300 g and white choc use 350g.

Last time I halved the recipe, and forgot to halve the milk choc (so me...!) It turned out just fine.

The praline paste can be hazelnut or almond or both.

Edited by Lior (log)

Hi. I get my praline paste from Valrhona. JPW gave us a recipe in the course:

500 g praline, 250 g dark choc melted and tempered, 100g-150g of inclusive ingredients (paillete Feuilletine, nibs, Bres etc). Mix the choc and praline very well, add the inclusive ingr, slab the ganache, cool overnight on the marble, cut and dip.

If you want milk chocolate use 300 g and white choc use 350g.

Last time I halved the recipe, and forgot to halve the milk choc (so me...!) It turned out just fine.

The praline paste can be hazelnut or almond or both.

What are Bres?

I've got a bucket of pistachio paste from Qzina to go through first.

Hey Kerry, how much is the pistachio through Qzina? I just ordered cocoa butter and some more purees and was going to grab the pistachio paste and hazelnut paste too but l'epicerie sells both in 8 oz. containers so I decided maybe I'll just order a couple of each in that size instead. I figured it may take a while to go through the larger pails but if the price works out close (for equal weights) I may just stick with Qzina and avoid the long shipping wait and duties.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've got a bucket of pistachio paste from Qzina to go through first.

Hey Kerry, how much is the pistachio through Qzina? I just ordered cocoa butter and some more purees and was going to grab the pistachio paste and hazelnut paste too but l'epicerie sells both in 8 oz. containers so I decided maybe I'll just order a couple of each in that size instead. I figured it may take a while to go through the larger pails but if the price works out close (for equal weights) I may just stick with Qzina and avoid the long shipping wait and duties.

Sorry, didn't get notification of your reply for some reason.

I looked back through my stuff, but couldn't find out how much I'd paid. I know that 5 kg of hazelnut paste was around $95 last time I bought it.

Probably best to give them a call, see if they have it (it's one of the ones they are more often out of) and how much they want.