• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comparing Gin Brands

jfd666

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Panda Chopstick Rests. I like that they are different poses!

I love these SO MUCH!  😃

Also, noticed you had Gilbey's Gin up above, with which I am not familiar. Is that a fave? I'm not a gin person, but I like a G&T now and then. Someone told me the Bombay Sapphire that I buy occasionally was a bad choice. I'm not sure what to look for in gin, they all taste on the edge of being a bit too herbal for me, so maybe I'm buying the wrong ones or maybe I'm just not destined to be a gin drinker. 

On 8/10/2021 at 8:56 AM, FauxPas said:

I love these SO MUCH!  😃

Also, noticed you had Gilbey's Gin up above, with which I am not familiar. Is that a fave? I'm not a gin person, but I like a G&T now and then. Someone told me the Bombay Sapphire that I buy occasionally was a bad choice. I'm not sure what to look for in gin, they all taste on the edge of being a bit too herbal for me, so maybe I'm buying the wrong ones or maybe I'm just not destined to be a gin drinker. 

In 1980, the BBC broadcasted a play about a time traveller from the future visiting 1980s London. It was called The Flipside of Dominick Hide. In the play, the lead character adopts the pseudonym "Gilbey", after having seen a bottle in a pub.

For some unknown reason, that stuck in my memory and, 40 years later, I saw a bottle in a supermarket here in China, so I bought it. It was OK, but nothing special.

My preference is for Tanqueray, but I recently sampled a Scottish gin called The Botanist, which was rather good, so I may switch my allegience. I mentioned that gin here.

I'm not sure why someone would say Bombay Sapphire is a bad choice. It's fine. In recent years, there has been an explosion in so-called craft beers and people do sometimes get rather snooty about their gin, making stupid claims that their choice, no doubt hand-crafted by six nuns up a mountain in Patagonia, is the only one worth opening. Ignore them and enjoy what YOU like.

ginandtonic.thumb.jpg.451739566601b640cdaa24679ab9226a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

20 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Ignore them and enjoy what YOU like.

Well, in that vein, I have to say that a local gin distiller, Sheringham, makes a Rhubarb Gin that I tried once and it was ah-mazing. There was something about the combo of gin and rhubarb that really worked for me. You have to scroll down to read about the rhubarb bit, I guess it had to be classed as a liqueur for some reason. 

Though I could add rhubarb to gin on my own, in one way or another, but this one worked for me. I think I tried it with soda water and with an artisanal (sometimes I hate that term) tonic water. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Well, in that vein, I have to say that a local gin distiller, Sheringham, makes a Rhubarb Gin that I tried once and it was ah-mazing.

I like rhubarb a lot, but can't imagine it with gin. The lemon one immediately under must be interesting, too. But I have no chance of finding either here, I suspect.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Always drifted to Tanqueray because I like the bottle. Yes I am a plebe. I find the tonic makes more of the difference for me. The deal breaker.

Tanqueray and Gordon's taste like gin. I like gin. I don't like all these floral extracts sold as gin. 

And agree on tonic. Schweppes diet please. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hogarth got it mostly right on gin, but he probably never tasted a proper Aviation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_(cocktail)

The gateway cocktail, as it was known at the (re)dawning of the serious cocktail bar. I can't tell you how many people I've made that cocktail for, who allegedly "hate" gin, yet for some strange reason loved the Aviation.

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Tanqueray and Gordon's taste like gin. I like gin. I don't like all these floral extracts sold as gin. 

And agree on tonic. Schweppes diet please. 

Oh god. I think the reason you don't like real tonic water is probably the same reason you don't like some of those more floral gins.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Oh god. I think the reason you don't like real tonic water is probably the same reason you don't like some of those more floral gins.

What a more real tonic than Schweppes?  I admit it could be less sweet.

Floral gins are nice but they don't taste like real gin. A martini should taste like gin not some flowery extract.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gfweb said:

What a more real tonic than Schweppes?  I admit it could be less sweet.

Floral gins are nice but they don't taste like real gin. A martini should taste like gin not some flowery extract.

I kinda like Fever Tree. Or Q.

Both of their regular tonic waters have about the same calories as Schweppes regular, no sodium and no HFCS. Their lights are also just simply a lot less sugar, w/o the saccharine. If sugar is an issue, I guess there's no getting around using diet.

Martinis we like with Beefeater and a fair amount of vermouth. I've probably got 5 or 6 (more?) gins in the pantry, but pretty much end up using Beef or Plymouth for practically all cocktails made with gin.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Oh yes. I really like Fever Tree. For some reason, I can't find Q around here any more but I liked it as well. I'm really not crazy about 'regular' tonic water after using FT and Q. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 6:21 PM, liuzhou said:

Scottish gin called The Botanist, which was rather good,

Really excellent gin, St.George (Northern California) makes a similar concept Gin called 'Terroir' which is very good as well. I love Wint & Lila (Spain) as well but AFAIK they are not distributed in the USA any more :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Really excellent gin, St.George (Northern California) makes a similar concept Gin called 'Terroir' which is very good as well. I love Wint & Lila (Spain) as well but AFAIK they are not distributed in the USA any more :(

St. George makes very nice stuff; their Absinthe is in inventory here.

From Spain, I cant' recall trying much gin, as I like sticking to their vermouths, wines, and brandies. But I'm pretty sure I must've, because I've been to both Dry Martini bar in Barcelona and La Ginotería in San Sebastián, each of which has a pretty amazing gin selection.

Currently closed due to you know why, WhiteChapel in San Francisco is another bar focusing on gin, and doing (or did) a fine job of it.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

22 hours ago, weinoo said:

Both of their regular tonic waters have about the same calories as Schweppes regular, no sodium and no HFCS. Their lights are also just simply a lot less sugar, w/o the saccharine. If sugar is an issue, I guess there's no getting around using diet.

Q is my first pick.  Their original product has a little over half the calories in Schweppes regular. I like the taste but it's hard to beat the price of Schweppes. 

Q “Spectacular” Tonic: 45 calories / 7.5 oz. - this is their original product
Q "Classic" Tonic: 70 calories / 7.5 oz. - this was previously called "Indian"
Q Elderflower Tonic: 80 calories / 7.5 oz.

Q Light: 20 calories/ 7.5 oz.

Schweppes Tonic: 81 calories / 7.5 oz.

Schweppes Diet Tonic: 0 calories / 7.5 oz.

Fever Tree Indian Tonic: 78 calories / 7.5 oz.

Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic: 78 calories / 7.5 oz.

Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic: 78 calories / 7.5 oz.

Fever Tree Light Indian Tonic: 33 calories / 7.5 oz.

Fever Tree Light Cucumber Tonic: 44 calories / 7.5 oz.

I like trying different gins.  Always have Beefeater and use it whenever I'm trying a new cocktail.  I like Sipsmith quite a lot.  At $27 / 750 ml, it's a tolerable expense but certainly pricier than Beefeater, Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire which are all  ~ $23/ l.75 L or Gordons @ $19 for the same. 

Also my liquor cabinet and all in the non-standard category:

I like the combination of honey notes with juniper in Barr Hill Gin from Vermont. It's almost an Old Tom style.  Unpleasantly sweet in a G & T.  I like it just over ice with a squeeze of lemon.  

Nolet Silver is one of those contemporary floral style gins. Overpoweringly floral to me.  Perfume-y. I've not found a good use for it. 

Wilder Gin from Ventura Spirits is made with local botanicals.  Not at all a typical gin but always reminds me of hiking on the local trails.  I like it in a White Negroni and like supporting the local business.

I see St. George Dry Rye Gin compared to genever.  I like the spices in a White Negroni

The other day, I picked up a bottle of Beefeater 24 but haven't tried it yet. I also bought a bottle of Sipsmith Zesty Orange Gin which was sort of a silly purchase but I wanted to try the Flaming Orange Gully cocktail  so I could turn it into popsicles.  I don't really go for vodka cocktails so I figured this would be a reasonable sub for the orange vodka it calls for.  So far, I liked the Flaming Orange Gully and found the orange gin fine in Negroni.  Fun to try but not worth the cost. 

• Like 5

Everyday gin: Tanqueray

Gin to pay attention to: Hendrick's

For variety: Hendrick's Summer Solstice.

My Sweetie used to be a Bombay Sapphire but now it's Hendrick's all the way.

She first had Hendrick's in the lounge at the Carthay Circle in Disney California Adventure. As is typical, I finished it for her and voile two new converts.

Give us Schweppes Diet Tonic. Accept no substitutes..

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

As said above, if there's not a reason to avoid sugar, I can't abide the use of diet mixers for highballs.  If anyone is really that worried about the calorie count, I guess they shouldn't be drinking cocktails in the first place.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Always loved this scene in The African Queen...

image.png.98a6933da45e582c64a84b1a56e4265d.png

Where Rosie is pouring the Gordon's into the river.  Gordon's, at its price point, is a quite reasonable London dry. Especially if making a gin punch.

Say Mr. Wondrich's Victorian Gin Punch...

3 lemons

¾ cup sugar

1 750-milliliter bottle gin

½ cup orange liqueur

1 liter seltzer, chilled

PREPARATION

Use a vegetable peeler to peel long strips of pith-free skin from the lemons. Place peels in a bowl, add sugar, muddle vigorously and allow to steep 2 to 3 hours. Juice lemons to obtain 3/4 cup. Pour lemon juice over peels and stir to dissolve sugar. Transfer to a 3-quart pitcher half-filled with ice.

Add gin, liqueur and seltzer. Stir and pour into punch cups or short-stemmed glasses, and serve.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Back when I was a wee tippler, Gordon's was my go-to for G&T (+ Schwepps tonic). In 2004, I discovered the Frosty Gin & Tonic; I also switched my allegiance to Plymouth. Somewhere along the way, I also switched to Fever Tree Indian Tonic. Nowadays, my go-to for general mixing is Ransom Dry Gin. Otherwise, depending on the cocktail, I might use Ransom Old Tom or Winter Gin from Ann Arbor Distilling Company.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 8/11/2021 at 9:24 AM, weinoo said:

If anyone is really that worried about the calorie count, I guess they shouldn't be drinking cocktails in the first place.

As a diabetic I balance the choice of having a cocktail with keeping the sugar content down. My Sweetie also prefers Diet Schweppes.

Alcohol side comment: some evenings I have a nightcap of rum and caffeine free Diet Coke. I can hear some random members twitching from here ...

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

As a diabetic I balance the choice of having a cocktail with keeping the sugar content down. My Sweetie also prefers Diet Schweppes.

Alcohol side comment: some evenings I have a nightcap of rum and caffeine free Diet Coke. I can hear some random members twitching from here ...

I did mention that above...

On 8/10/2021 at 10:59 AM, weinoo said:

If sugar is an issue, I guess there's no getting around using diet.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

We're had bunches of G&T's during the no go to office it's 5 o'clock Covid time.

Been purchasing 24 packs of fever tree indian tonic from Amazon

our current gins selection

Hans Reisetbauer Blue Gin- Austria

Roku Gin- Japan

Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin- Ireland

Plymouth Gin- England

Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength Gin- England

• Like 1

I have a bottle of Plymouth Navy strength. Stuff can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

It's interesting that Martin Miller markets the term Westbourne Strength, as it's no higher ABV than classic Beefeater or Tanq.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I have a bottle of Plymouth Navy strength. Stuff can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Currently drinking G&T with Plymouth Navy + Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic + lime wedge.  Tall, light ice.  Best G&T on the planet (imho).

Gunpowder and dangerously delicious. 

• Like 2