• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smitty's BBQ Joint

jwjojo

Not yet, but I just pulled their menu/coupons from a local mailing. Iirc, this place opened and something like a week later, had a fire. Glad to hear they're up and running; it would be nice to have good Q nearby!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Actually, they opened and were cited by the town for being unsafe for occupation, according to the citations they had posted on the doors.

Good to know they're up and running, though, I was just wondering what to do for lunch today. :-D These guys probably can't compare to Bourbon BBQ but it's nice to get something slightly closer.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

We went last night. Had the smoked chicken w/coleslaw, mac and cheese. I liked the sauces, the chicken was good, not great. Slaw was good, did not enjoy the mac and cheese. Oh...and fries which were just okay.....we would go back. The table next to us was more experimental and seemed to really enjoy a their meal a lot. Worth a try.

My lunch yielded "good, but not great" results as well. Better than a long (for me) drive to Bourbon? Yes. Better than Bourbon? Not directly. Although I think they're different styles, though; Bourbon was drier and more smoked, these were wetter bbqs as it were. Carolina style, maybe?

Either or, good if you're in the area.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

• 2 weeks later...

The Bergen Record has this article about Smitty's...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 1 year later...

Not sure why I'm stumbling upon nothing but closings today, but the Bergen Record food blog reports that Smitty's has closed.

• 1 month later...

A sign at the bar/restaurant across from Smitty's (City something?) says Smitty's BBQ is now available there...