• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pheasant, apples, walnuts, cream......

Henry dV

I am making lunch for all the guys at work on Sunday, we`re Firefighters, and the basic ingredients are as above, so it is to all intents and purposes Normandy Phessy.

What herbs would you put into the sauce and at what stage......thyme early on.....tarragon to finish....or a combination ???

The birds will be mildly gamey as they will have hung for 5 days and are all, or as sure as I can be, birds of the year.

Many thanks from us all and if there are enough ladies or other interested parties reply we may post pictures of the guys and their meal :biggrin:

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

I cannot comment on the herbs, but I would very much like to see some images of your Normandy Phessy. Is that one of your future lunch birds in your avatar?

I am hatching a plan to raise some free-range game birds next year in Cape Breton (Nova Scotia, Canada) likely pheasant and quail. This year we did several dozen meat and egg hens plus a handful of turkeys - all were processed this past weekend - a new and rewarding experience for me. After dressing a few 40lb turkeys I'm thinking quail will be a challenge.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Henry,

The herbs will be a wonderful addition to your dish. I assume you are thinking of a fricassee with an apple cider braise. I would add the herbs when you begin the braise.

Pheasant can dry out and you have not specified if they have skins or are stripped of skin. If stripped, you might want to use caul fat to protect the breast meat or at least some pancetta.

Be careful with the braise so you don't overcook the birds. Finish with cream, butter and you will have a wonderful meal.

Tim

Yes to all the suggestions above - the precautions, the herbs (including Herbes de Provence). And yes, photos, please! :biggrin:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Peter - The bird in the avatar was eaten a few years ago and was as always delish :raz: The quail will be quicker than the 40lb-ers :laugh:

Tim - Yes it is a cider and apple braise but the birds will be seared first and are skinless(pheasant skin tears so easy whilst plucking)

PTdeC - I like that idea !

Smithy - Photos of the pheasant or the Firefighters ?? :wink::laugh:

Cheers one and all !

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.