• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to sub for paleron?

Doodad

I'm not sure how much info you have already, but the paleron (aka "raquette," among other names) is definitely a shoulder cut. It's specific to France, not just a French word for a common North American cut (i.e., it's not in the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's guide to beef cuts), so I'm not surprised your butcher is having trouble identifying it, assuming you're in North America. :biggrin:

FWIW, I thought I'd seen evidence that it was the same thing as a flatiron steak, but I may be wrong. (Besides which, my butcher doesn't know what a flatiron steak is!)

Does this link help? (If you click on the diagram, it gives photos, which might help your butcher...)

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Matthew is correct -- the closest you'll get here in the States is a top blade steak, or specifically a flat iron...

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html

top blade steak = book steak = butler steak = lifter steak = petite steak = top chuck steak = flat iron steak  Notes:  Though a lowly chuck steak, this cut is tender enough to grill, broil, or pan-fry, as long as you marinate it first.  If you don't mind cutting around some gristle, this is an economical and flavorful steak.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Matthew is correct -- the closest you'll get here in the States is a top blade steak, or specifically a flat iron...
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html

top blade steak = book steak = butler steak = lifter steak = petite steak = top chuck steak = flat iron steak   Notes:  Though a lowly chuck steak, this cut is tender enough to grill, broil, or pan-fry, as long as you marinate it first.  If you don't mind cutting around some gristle, this is an economical and flavorful steak.

But, isn't it the area of the flatiron without being either deboned or fileted (or something)? I know the cut is the shoulder and particular to the French, I am just unsure of what area exactly. The poor guy is willing to try at least to become a French or close butcher for me so points to him. The flatiron is cut off this cut if I even understand correctly.

I had a teres major cut at a French restaurant last night (which I think is indeed flatiron) and they were not sure of the cut when I asked.

This link may not help this discission, but its just about the coolest "beef site" I've ever seen.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Great sites thanks!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

check out "chuck" in this list.

beef cut equivalents

The best way to explain it to the butcher is to tell him it is the center of the boneless shoulder clod roast.

In European or French cutting, the entire shoulder "clod" is boned and the "knuckle" or lower end and the top section or point is cut off to be used in pot roasts. The center is either cut in a thick roast or filleted across the grain for grilling. It is the tenderest as well as the most flavorful part of the sholder.

In the US it is the common way of dividing a shoulder of venison.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Too funny! I just bought a piece of paleron today, not knowing exactly what it was, but planning to use it with a long slow bean roast. And now here it is again. If anyone knows something better for me to do with it, I'm all ears.

Too funny!  I just bought a piece of paleron today, not knowing exactly what it was, but planning to use it with a long slow bean roast.  And now here it is again.  If anyone knows something better for me to do with it, I'm all ears.

I read, and am planning, that it is the traditional cut for Beef Bourginon.

Too funny!  I just bought a piece of paleron today, not knowing exactly what it was, but planning to use it with a long slow bean roast.  And now here it is again.  If anyone knows something better for me to do with it, I'm all ears.

You can pound it, then stuff and roll it, tie it up and braise it with root vegetables. The same cut is a favorite with Italians for braciola, because it has a lot of flavor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett