• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

can someone point me out to a cake layering

maui420

hi,

thanksgiving is approaching and would like to step up my cake skills by layering. i am baking 2 cakes, the frog commissary carrot cake (havent yet tasted a better carrot cake)and a hersey chocolate cake that i both came accross here at egullet.

question, for a layered cake, must i

cut the final cake mixture into 2 cake containers and line the bottom of the cake pan with parchement paper

when both layers are finished baking, cool them off

cut the rounded top so its flat, flip over, remove the parchement paper,

do the same with the other one

and then proceed to the layering?

thanks!

Wedding Cake Demo

while this is a square cake and specifically a wedding cake, if you scroll to post #12 you'll see a good demo on layering a cake with filling and then finishing it with icing.

if you're not confident with your slicing skills, then baking the cake in two pans is fine. rather than do the dishes, i'd bake the cake in one pan and then level and slice the cake horizontally into two or three layers.

then proceed to fill, ice and decorate as described in the demo. there aren't too many differences between icing a square and round cake and you can obviously do it as finished or as rustic as you see fit.

hi thanks for the thread, thats exactly what i was looking for.

question, i like how the cake split was performed. now i see she used a metal sheet to take the cake off after the cutting, could i use a thin plastic? its one of those thin cutting boards used to cut vegies.

Wedding Cake Demo

while this is a square cake and specifically a wedding cake, if you scroll to post #12 you'll see a good demo on layering a cake with filling and then finishing it with icing.

if you're not confident with your slicing skills, then baking the cake in two pans is fine.  rather than do the dishes, i'd bake the cake in one pan and then level and slice the cake horizontally into two or three layers.

then proceed to fill, ice and decorate as described in the demo.  there aren't too many differences between icing a square and round cake and you can obviously do it as finished or as rustic as you see fit.

or a spare cake board

depending on how sturdy your cake is, you might not need one. she used one in the demo because she was splitting large cakes and they wouldn't have held up to being done by hand. for the most part, you don't really need anything when doing a standard 10" or 12" cake.