• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there a general term for little oranges?

aprilmei

I think satsumas are a type of mandarin orange. Tangerines are always labelled as 'tangerines' and never as a type of orange so maybe it's a different species of citrus tree?

I did some taste comparisons last year at Auburn's Mountain Mandarin Festival (oh look, it's this weekend!).

The farms contributing to the festival are located at different elevations in the foothills, with associated soil differences and temperature differences. It was interesting to note the differences in taste; I found my favourites all came from around Newcastle (lower elevation and slightly warmer).

I thought they were all a subset of tangerines.

Here's what the USDA says:

Tangerines, also known as mandarins, are said to

have originated in Asia, around southern China,

Indochina, and Japan. There are numerous varieties,

with varying shapes and color. The tangerines are

distinguished from other citrus fruit by their loose

peel and easy-to-separate sections. These features

have increased the popularity of the fruit in recent

years and given them the nickname easy peelers.

Tangerine varieties differ around the world. There

are several different groupings of tangerines,

including: satsumas, clementines, and other tangerine

hybrids. An example of a satsuma is the Unshui, the

most popular variety in Japan. Clementines are the

most popular variety grown in the Mediterranean

region. Other tangerine hybrids are popular in China

and the United States and include the Ponkan, grown

in China, and the Fallglo and Sunburst, grown in

Florida. Tangerine hybrids also include the tangelo, a

cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit, and the

tangor, a cross between a tangerine and an orange.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/FruitAndT...f/Tangerine.pdf

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

And they all originated on the island of Tangerina, no? At least that's what I remember from "My Father's Dragon," my childhood bible.

I thought a tangelo was a cross between a tangerine and an orange, not a grapefruit. If so it should be called a tangeluit, altho that would trip up first-time pronouncers. It certainly doesn't taste or look like it has a grapefruit for a parent. Early this summer at the Berkeley Farmers' market someone was selling a small object which was labeled "mandarin/tangelo hybrid." I told them they should call it a mangelo and they looked at me like I was nuts.

Speaking of clementines, I just discovered a really fun way to eat them a la Batali. He sections them, drops a coupla teaspoons of balsamic vinegar on, a sprinkle of sugar and then a grind of fresh pepper. It's really awfully yummy--and takes four seconds. I used a relatively sweet fig balsamic. He suggests it as a dessert, I'm into it for an afternoon snack.

The tangelos that were developed in Riverside, CA, were a cross between the tangerine and pomelo. Other varieties, more suited to Florida growing conditions were a cross of grapefruit and tangerines. However there are so many crosses and re-crossed hybrids out there now that unless one is a botanist, and can trace the DNA, it is difficult to actually know how to trace the lineage.

Riverside has a museum that has a lot of information about the area and its agricultural history.

And there is this bit of info.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett