• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fresh turkey?

kosoffj

glad to hear it. the trick with godshalls is to take a number and then go do your other shopping, stopping back about every 15 minutes to see how close they are to your number...

we got one of the small turkeys from fair foods -- all of them came in underweight this year. but man was that good. the dark meat was DARK and had some chew to it -- not this half-assed pinkish meat you get on a regular bird. the thighs and legs could stand for a good stewing...

kosoffj, that line gives all of us time to chat with strangers about how many people are coming over for Thanksgiving and what else we're making and telling the newbies how good the turkey wings are and where the potatoes are cheaper this year.

Which is to say that I was a bit weirded out the first time, but now I'm used to it. I just relax and consider it part of the charm. I must say that on Wednesday early-afternoon the line went much faster than in previous years.

Which is to say that I was a bit weirded out the first time, but now I'm used to it. I just relax and consider it part of the charm.

I was thinking the same thing. It's like waiting for Christmas cookies and cannolis at Termini's at the holidays. The waiting is just part of the experience that makes it that much more authentic.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

normally i would too, except these days i'm usually rushing to pick up a toddler somewhere :wink:

next year i'll know and plan accordingly, i guess the first year always has a learning curve (i did sneak over to le bus to get day old bread for my stuffing though :biggrin:)