• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk Chocolate...

merlicky

I am trying to make some Milk Chocolate truffles for some people that are big milk chocolate fans…the problem is that milk chocolate to them is a Hershey bar or similar item. And I don’t like the texture of the truffles using Hershey type chocolate.

I bought some Valhrona milk (great taste, but it was too expensive) and some Lindt (which I ended up using because of cost). Both of these are much smoother and tastier than a Hershey bar, but they both have a distinct caramel flavor.

Are/will people that expect Hershey bar flavor be turned off by the caramel taste?

Aldi's of all places has a $.25 1.5 ounce Dark Milk Chocolate bar from Austria called Choceux. I'm no expert on chocolate but I'm not getting a caramel or malt flavor.

One of the ingredients is vanilla which I think is where the caramel flavor originates in chocolates but I can't taste it. Then again I've been drinking Scotch and smoking cigarettes for 25 years so that may effect taste.

Pretty damn good quality for a quarter. Probably too good to be true. Who would think Aldi as a source for chocolate.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I just want to suggest that you don't underestimate the tasting capabilities of your friends, maybe because I can't imagine anyone not preferring a Lindt or Valrhona milk to a Hershey's milk, when given the chance. You might want to let them taste the solid chocolates first to let them get the idea that there is a difference, then give them the truffles? Just a thought...

I can't imagine that they wouldn't like the Lindt or Valrhona better either...I'm just curious I guess, because when my wife tasted the ganache she commented about the caramel flavor - not in a bad way, but it got me wondering.

I did make them with the Lindt and I think they turned out pretty good. I'll find out tomorrow if the caramel flavor is good or bad for them.

Also, I've read in other threads that milk chocolate is hard to work with and hard to temper...am I just lucky that everything turned out perfectly, and does that mean that I will get bit the next time?

Anyway, thanks for all the responses.

am I just lucky that everything turned out perfectly, and does that mean that I will get bit the next time?

It doesn't mean you will but don't be too upset if it does happen. The first couple times I tempered chocolate it turned out great and I was wondering what all of the fuss was about. Then I (over)confidently dove into doing larger batches and different chocolates and got my first taste of what a pain in the arse it can be. I've got it down now to where it's always good enough for what I do (decorations for plated desserts and things of that nature) but probably wouldn't be up to the standards of the chocolate artists doing all of the beautiful dipping and molding we see posted here. I have a lot of respect for their skills. I've almost decided to invest in a small tempering machine just to make life easier. Then I can turn my attention to other things while the chocolate does it's thing. Using the double boiler method I use now, I'm too paranoid to leave alone for more than a minute or two.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.