• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CA's Dungeness Crab Season Delayed

fiftydollars

The start of California's crab season is being delayed due to some 58,000 gallons of "bunker fuel" that were spilled during an unfortunate run-in with the Bay Bridge...

Sure I'm angry--I only got a couple of crab so far this year before The Big Fuck Up, which is not nearly enough for my way of seeing things--but this bunker fuel doesn't go well with garlic noodles.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

I was listening to a crab boat operator who was participating in the cleanup speak on PBS tonight. It was heartbreaking. He and his crew members were trying to do whatever they could to aid in the effort. He mentioned that the market for his livelihood had crashed. You could hear the fear for his income and saftey net for his family repeatedly rise to the surface in the course of what he was trying to keep as a professional conversation with the media. My heart goes out to them.

Just got home and discussed this with my loving wife. We will probably have Alaskan Dungeness crab for New Year's Eve, but alas... it appears that this season will truly be == sucky == for our favorite local type crustacean. My heart goes out to the fisherfolk from the bay area... it's hard enough to make a living when things are good. May they catch a break somehow.

hvr :unsure:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net